Thread: Isolated Mountain Vale Village

Post Isolated Mountain Vale Village

Here's an attempt at a map of a bit larger an area than my two encounter maps.

This is an isolated mountain vale, with a small village. The only connection to the outside world is via the precarious footpath that leads south out of the vale.

Most of the village farms or fishes for their sustenance. There is a small copper mine in the northern end of the vale that accounts for most of the village's export wealth.

This is my first attempt with both buildings and fields - how do you think they turned out?

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valley Map.jpg 
Views:	1308 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	5416

I like it.

Nice textures. What did you make it in?

My only question would be the lack of any fortifications and the relative pristine nature of the forest? The wargamer in me expects to see some sort of fortress or haven for the people in the event of attack.

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I like it.

Nice textures. What did you make it in?

My only question would be the lack of any fortifications and the relative pristine nature of the forest? The wargamer in me expects to see some sort of fortress or haven for the people in the event of attack.

Sigurd
    Thanks! I used GIMP - following the principles that RobA demonstrates in his artistic regional map in GIMP tutorial.

Yeah, the lack of fortification is intentional. This valley is modeled after the starting point for a D&D campaign I played in a few years back. The first adventure involved the bad guys (I think they were kobolds? can't remember for sure) attacking the hitherto peaceful valley by way of secret tunnels. Turns out the attack was the vanguard of a full-on invasion. The PCs had to race to the more civilized areas out of the mountains to warn them of the invasion. Good times.