Thread: Korva regional map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Korva regional map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10985920324_421cf771bc_z.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	59968. I know the forests look weird, I don't know what happened. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's not that the forests are *bad*, maybe just that the scale of their texture is too close to the same size as your mountain ranges. Logically, bumpiness on that scale on a regional/continental map might belong to hills. Here, you seem to be using the "tree symbology via clumpiness" which can work -- but you aren't doing the usual detailing to force a viewer to think of each bump as a tree -- like a rim of tree trunks on the near edge. Would it be much work to try a smaller-grained texture?

Otherwise, the map has a lot going for it; nice work. Are you experimenting with one of the tutorials, or trying your own methods? I don't follow the photorealistic styles enough to recognize the 'standard types' :-).

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

yeah, one of the GIMP tutorials, can't remember which one though.

one thing I think I can do to fix the forests is to make them darker in color. it suppose to be an area similar to northern europe. so more pine and furs than broad leafs but yeah, scaling down the textures is probably better.