Thread: WIP help! Where to find bordering/ Guilding for maps? Also just looking for advice.

Wip WIP help! Where to find bordering/ Guilding for maps? Also just looking for advice.

Hey guys, been working on improving my map i've been working on. This is my first map I have ever made and am trying to get it to be at least half way decent. One thing I have been wanting to do for it is add border's, guilding, filigree, ect. whatever you call it. I have been having trouble finding ones I can use that I don't have to pay for. I would make it myself, but I am not technically skilled enough to make something that ornate.

if you dont know what im talking about heres some examples: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...nfinalhalf.jpg http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...viking-1.5.jpg http://www.cartographersguild.com/me...s-reserved.jpg

Past that I'm just looking for some general advise, I know I need to fix my rivers, and in the last post I did I was looking for help on drawing plateaus (and I just haven't gotten around to drawing it yet) I also plan to change out my location Icons and names with different colors (though I'm not sure what color yet) and I may even end up drawing the map in more of a topographical style rather than the stamps that I have been using ( made by starraven Sketchy Cartography Brushes by StarRaven on deviantART ) just to make it a little more my own (also because i'm not sure I can draw my own stamps)

I have attached images of the map before and after the changes I made yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-11_v0.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	59996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-10.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	59997  

Of the two I much prefer the second map. The water on the first map is a bit too vibrant to really mesh well with a hand drawn piece. Your pencil-work looks pretty good. I'll leave the questions about ornate borders and pencil-work to those who have worked a bit more in this style than myself, but I think you are off to a great start.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Of the two I much prefer the second map. The water on the first map is a bit too vibrant to really mesh well with a hand drawn piece. Your pencil-work looks pretty good. I'll leave the questions about ornate borders and pencil-work to those who have worked a bit more in this style than myself, but I think you are off to a great start.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I agree that the water is to vibrant for what I have done, but I don't plan on keeping the penciled stuff, its kinda place holder for now. I'm going to draw the actual land features in there place kinda like you would see if you were looking at like Google satellite imagery (though a bit more stylized) I decided I would prefer more realism for the continent map and when I get into drawing new maps of the different regions those I plan to do in a more stamp / penciled style.