Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

The Guild does not impose any rules on how cartographers work. In spite of the word "Guild" in our name. If the client and the artists are happy with a collaboration, then that's terrific!

In fact, Ravells & I collaborated on a project… quite a long time ago. I made a continental map, and he did a couple of local maps.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Before I post my request, I need to know what a professional map cost? I'm writing a fantasy novel and want to include a map.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I don´t know if I am speaking foolishness or not, and I know that I am still a newie in the forum (and surely someother people had proposed this idea before) but maybe it could be a good idea to compose a general price table between all the cartographer members of this guild.

I know that the artist's rates of eachone are a very sensitive matter, but I think it could be a positive fact for everyone using this forum. After that either one is free to increase (or decrease) the proposed rates.

In the time I wandered this great guild I had found that the vast plurarity of people that use the Mapmaking Request section of the forum say "I don´t know the rates of the market" or "I am not acquainted with cartography rates" and usually thinks that create a map is worth of $50-$60... This could be true in some cases but not always or it is not true when someone's asking for a A0 realistic color map, do you know what I mean?

Well, I left this proposal to the forum... Feel free to complely ignore it if it is a sillyness (also if any admin thinks that it is not the apropiate place to talk about it he/she can move it without problem).

Bye,

@ Antonio and lonewrite: How much someone should pay for a map is a thorny question. One of the things that concerns me is that by even suggesting some sort of 'guild approved' rate we will be influencing the prices that people charge and I am not sure if that is a good thing. I think that if you are someone looking to have a map made the best way would be to ask a range of cartographers what they would charge and based on their portfolio, time they can produce etc. make a decision from that.

There are a few factors affecting the price of maps I would imagine. From the type of copyright to the obvious amount of hours put into create the work. I would expect good, deep, maps probably rival or surpass centerfold paintings in terms of work hours. Simpler unpainted maps probably a lot less. If you are commissioning a piece I would imagine it really depends on what you are asking for and what the artist estimates it will cost in terms of hours and of course adjusted according to the copyright.

Perhaps if artist were to post a map and post the price they would have charged for that specific map it would be better than some sort of general list. Really it's the only way I see of doing it. I can't imagine a high quality map costing as little as 50-60 dollars. That really seems like a bargain bin price for even relatively plain black and white map.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

@ Ravells I am not talking about impose a price list to anyone but to create a help system both to requesters and artists (but above all to requesters) that allow to set a foundation, a common ground to start talk. there is a lot of people that expect to get a professional map for $50-$60 and maybe there is people that fearing a $1000 bill labels his/her request as "Unpaid".

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I believe that the common ground for the requests should be the interest for creating the map, not the cost. The price should be something settled by the parties depending on the complexities of the request, be it time constraints, detail, size or what ever. I also believe that it is withing human nature to want the most for the least, and having a list, no matter how it is presented, will only cause those that have no budget and wanting a simple map to look elsewhere. That is something that we should be avoiding. The filling of unpaid requests is a great way to practice working on a deadline and to someone else's specs (Another being the competitions.) and a great way to get into the field. Stating what you want to pay should only the opening salvo in the negotiations and THAT depends on the requester and should not be set by anyone else.

My two cents (+tax) worth.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

The irony here is that historically, one of the reasons for setting up a Guild (in medieval times) and enforcing membership was to regulate the prices charged by guild members!

....but we are not that sort of Guild!

In general, folks creating maps can be considered as specialized illustrators, and it would be reasonable to expect rates comparable to those of illustrators.

https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/handbook is a good resource for setting pricing, but it just shows things prices van vary tremendously.

For example, for book illustrations, they state the size on page, style and quantity of illustrations will affect the price but is $250 to $1500 per illustration. Small illustrations, 1/2 page and less are in the $50 to $500 range.

Another guideline I read once for "visual artists" was to price per square inch (at a standard DPI, for digital).

I would encourage ALL folks who are creating works on commissions not to undervalue themselves or their work!

Just my opinion.

-Rob A>

Personally, I quote different prices based on pixel count and rights agreement. My prices range from the lowest for non-commercial reproduction rights; with a significant rise for commercial reproduction-of-image non-copyright agreements; and are highest for full exclusive copyright agreements. I'd imagine this is the norm.

I also agree with RobA that visual artists should not undervalue their work - but at the same time I think it is important that new artists are able and allowed to do their first few jobs as cheaply as they want while they are establishing themselves and putting together a portfolio.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast