Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

Very helpful, thank you.

Agree, this is helpful, thanks.

Guild Novice

Thank you for the information!

Hi everyone.

Is this a good place to ask generic questions about making requests?

I'm preparing to post a paid request. I'm wondering what a reasonable amount of time to wait for offers to come in before selecting. For me, presumably longer = more offers = better ability to compare offers i.e. to get a feel for how price scales as quality increases. The guild members' general consensus to keep their pricing style is respectable, but I likewise would prefer not to include my budget in my request, as I expect doing so would bias the offers one way or the other, and I can only guess at what I should expect.

That said, I don't want to keep artists "hanging" without a definite response while I wait to see other options and get a feel for the market, nor do I want to turn artists away early when I can't be sure what the optimal offer for my needs will look like.

So my question is, what would be a good time after posting a paid request to select an artist? What would you consider a reasonable balance between waiting to find the best match and not leaving artists in limbo for too long?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

I would say that 1 week is probably more than enough. Artists making maps for a living are quite active and will send a message if they are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Azynterrus View Post
    Hi everyone.

Is this a good place to ask generic questions about making requests?

I'm preparing to post a paid request. I'm wondering what a reasonable amount of time to wait for offers to come in before selecting. For me, presumably longer = more offers = better ability to compare offers i.e. to get a feel for how price scales as quality increases. The guild members' general consensus to keep their pricing style is respectable, but I likewise would prefer not to include my budget in my request, as I expect doing so would bias the offers one way or the other, and I can only guess at what I should expect.

That said, I don't want to keep artists "hanging" without a definite response while I wait to see other options and get a feel for the market, nor do I want to turn artists away early when I can't be sure what the optimal offer for my needs will look like.

So my question is, what would be a good time after posting a paid request to select an artist? What would you consider a reasonable balance between waiting to find the best match and not leaving artists in limbo for too long?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
    Hey Azynterrus - So long as you inform the artists that contact you that you will decide in a week or so, that should be sufficient.
    We're used to waiting for people to decide and often for people who never contact back. That happens often, if they choose someone else.
    It's also probably good to not state your budget. Each artist should have a good idea of what they will charge for a job.
    Whether that goes above your budget or not is the concern of the artist giving the quote.

You can haggle with some artists if you really want to work with them but your budget is strained by their quote.
    They may or may not have some room to negotiate. Best of luck with your request.
    Cheers,
    J

Guild Applicant

Thank you very much!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello,

I'm looking to make a request for something other than a map - I would like an illustration of a section of my map. I have an existing map that I want someone to draw the skyline of the city. Is this a good place, since it is sort of map related.

-darcycardinal
    Fabled Maps Cartography - Facebook Page - Click HERE
    Map Project "New Richmond" - Newest Update 10, Sept 5 - Click HERE
    New Richmond Sketch-update - Newest Update 2, Sept 8 - Click HERE

Hi darcy, you're more than welcome to post your request in the general mapmaking requests folder. Many mapmakers create illustrations for their work, so I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to help you. Try to include as much information as you are able, so that the artists know what's involved. Good luck!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I've read how much mapmakers are not prepared to work for, but I'm interested how much a mapmaker should charge for services? I know it hugely varies with complexity - do you give an estimate based on hourly rate? Briefly browsing paid request posts I've not seen money mentioned.

I enjoy making maps, I'm wondering whether it's worth my while

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast