Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My First Attempt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's shaping up pretty nicely; have some rep for jumping right in with a map.

That softer brown inner stroke on the landmasses works really well with the starker black outline.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Here's that mini-tut I promised you, Wiltrichs: Coastlines and Coastal Rings.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Wiltrichs's Avatar

That is awesome Diamond! Thank you very much, I'll have a go first thing in the morning and thanks for the kind words on the map so far!
    My Latest WIP l My New Venture Voodooworx Miniatures l My Miniature Painting CMON

Here is a small update after following Diamond's coastal ring tutorial

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIL11.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	60124

Does anyone know how to change the colour of the rhumb lines? I've overlaid them on their own layer and they are black, I'm not too experienced at Photoshop. I'd like to make them a dark blue to contrast with the sea colour.

Name:	WIL12.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	501.5 KB 
ID:	60125
    Last edited by Wiltrichs; 01-05-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    My Latest WIP l My New Venture Voodooworx Miniatures l My Miniature Painting CMON

This is shaping up nicely!

One way is to select the layer content by holding ctrl and clicking on the layer thumbnail, then you can for example make a new solid color fill layer (the black&white circle in the bottom of the layer window) in any color you want.

EDIT: Realized that in newer versions the fill layer button might be on top of the layer window.
    Last edited by Salama; 01-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks a lot Salama, that worked a treat! Next I was going to try and dirty up the map a little, looking at some of the great examples on here I think mine looks too clean for an old map

Name:	WIL13.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	60126

Good job, your map looks promising!

Thanks Ilanthar!
    I'm trying to place the mountains next and I'm using a brush set from deviantart at the moment just to practice. I read a tutorial somewhere on how to make the brush cover up the detail below, so you can overlap them without it becoming a huge mess.... but can't find it now. Does anyone know the one I'm talking about or can tell me how to do it?
    Cheers Wiltrichs

After reading some WIP threads I've been playing around with Luminosity of the sea textures and its made it a much darker colour which is what I am looking for. It was a bit mediterranean for the world I'm making it for.

Name:	WIL14.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	518.8 KB 
ID:	60137

But for some reason I am really struggling to do anything with the land, it might be the way I've set it all up but I would like to add some textures around the edge and make it a bit more interesting but can't seem to do it.... stuck!

I've added a shot of my layers below just in case someone can see a problem in how I've put it all together.

Name:	WIL14p.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	60139

Cheers
    Wiltrichs

Looking great! Have you considered to add all the features on the land before texturing or dirtying it up? I tend to add all the mountains, forests, lakes, rivers, etc. first, and then see if the map needs any further texturing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast