Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My First Attempt

The marble blue effect on your seas is nice, but I think it contrasts way too much with the lands (imo). So, if you keep it, you really have to find a way to change the lands to match them to the waters.
    By darkening the lands or applying a similar treatment perhaps?

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Wiltrichs's Avatar

Cheers both! Yeah the land needed changing, I was having a bit of a mental block yesterday and couldn't see how to apply the textures to just the land (still pretty new to PS). But I've added a few layers as clipping masks with different colours and textures. I wasn't really sure where I was going with it but here it is as it looks at the moment. What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIL15.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	60151

Added some more colours so the green wasn't so bright.

Name:	WIL16.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	60152
    Last edited by Wiltrichs; 01-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    My Latest WIP l My New Venture Voodooworx Miniatures l My Miniature Painting CMON

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Depending on which way you're going to do the geographic features, your textures on sea/lands might be too heavy for the map. I'd also avoid the bright white outerglow on the land shape to prefer a light blue one.
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-06-2014 at 10:37 AM.

[sorry double post]
    Last edited by Wiltrichs; 01-06-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: double post
    My Latest WIP l My New Venture Voodooworx Miniatures l My Miniature Painting CMON

Thanks a lot Max! I was going to use the mountain and tree brush packs from deviantart, I'll have a go at drawing my own eventually but just practicing at the moment. I'm having trouble overlapping the mountain and tree brushes though, the detail shows through. I'm sure I saw a tutorial on here, but now I need it I can't find it again haha

I've had a play around with the map and toned down the textures on both the land and the sea, also changed the bright glow around the coast. Hope you like

Name:	WIL18.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	60155
    Last edited by Wiltrichs; 01-06-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: wrong photo uploaded

Yep, that's definitely better!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say that I actually really like the darker green land with the white outer glow; it had a lot of character. I agree with Max though in that it might be hard to make geographic features show up against that dark color. I do like it a lot though.

Thanks all, here is another little update with some mountains added. I want to draw my own mountain brushes for the full map, but just want to practice the technique of placing them and colouring them etc. using the free brush sets for the time being. I still can't get them to overlap without the detail from the mountain below showing through so I've carefully placed them not to overlap for the time being. Does anyone know how its done?

Name:	WIL19.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	429.2 KB 
ID:	60157
    Last edited by Wiltrichs; 01-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since you'ee using brushes, you can't avoid overlapping. You can do the way you did or put each brush on a separate layer to build ranges, then erase all the overlapping parts and then merge your layers when it's done. Quite time consuming...

Thanks Max! I'll give that a go

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast