Thread: Sarturus - Ulthui (Work in Progress) VIDEO

Default Sarturus - Ulthui (Work in Progress) VIDEO

Hello, Cartographer's Guild. I'd like to show you a video which features my map of the continent of Ulthui which is roughly 70% complete. The video below shows the current progress on my world project, with most of the first continent, Ulthui, complete. The video aims to give a broad overview of the regions and inhabitants of Ulthui, and the lore behind Sarturus.

Last edited by TaylorH; 07-27-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Here's an image of the work in progress map for those of you who don't have time to watch the video.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarturus Ulthui 1.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	66027

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

Nice looking map. I'm eager to see the detailed versions of this.

As for the video, I really enjoyed it. Even though most fantasy/world created I see are not necessarily in my line of taste, I enjoy listening to someone talking about a world he's passionated about. Don't hesitate to do more videos, it really was entertaining !

Thanks Lezales.

I was going to create another thread for this question, but I think it'd be better if I ask here. I need to start putting in the geographical elements, mainly the rivers, but something that has me slightly confused is that I don't know how detailed to go. Obviously there's only so much detail you can draw on a continent map. Each country alone would have many, many rivers and other little details, but it's just not feasible to draw those all in and the scale would be wrong. Should I just plot the main rivers across the continent?
    Last edited by TaylorH; 07-28-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I don't know the worth of my opinion but... I like beautiful and detailed maps. Although, the first and more important function of a map is it's usefulness. So I guess you could go mad with the rivers and crack the whole surface of your continent with the waters, but I don't think that would make the map readable and... are all those rivers really useful to be on the map ?

I would suggest you start by putting down the major rivers that, because of their size or position, are important. So, a delta makes the whole region harvestable in an harsh environment ? Put it down. A big river is so large armies cannot cross making the bridge a strategic point to hold ? Put it down. Oh well, that's what I think !