Thread: Geographer by trade

Post Geographer by trade

Greetings Guildmembers,
    In my day job I work as a Geographer, my specialty is elevation data (Lidar - Light Detection and Ranging). I also am proficient in GIS (Geographic Information Systems). While I do geographic analysis, build huge data sets and make some maps for a living, I rarely get to do anything close to the beautiful cartography that first got me interested in my profession. In fact, while I understand cartography from a standards perspective - the rules for building a USGS 7.5 minute Quadrangle map, I have never built a vector map with roads, water bodies, rivers, etc.. My work has been in raster data.
    So! I want to learn more about building a cartographic map for a fantasy novel I'm working on in my free time. The maps I have seen in the galleries are stunning.
    Regards,
    Kyha
    p.s. If you have elevation data questions, i'm happy to try and answer any.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Welcome!

I bet you can be of help here at the guild, get ready to be peppered with questions!

I have found the guild to be a very pleasant forum with lots of friendly and helpful people. Don't hesitate to post a project or ask questions!

Have fun!

Blog Entries

It's always good to have another geography nerd, and it's nice to have another Cascadian too.