Thread: Ant Nest Dungeon

Guild Member

Wip Ant Nest Dungeon

Started an ant nest dungeon. Supposed to serve as the nest of some giant or humanoid ant-like creatures. The basic concept of the dungeon was based on real ant nests: entomologists create molds of the inside of an ant nest by pouring wax or some molten material in it. This gives them detailed information on the 3D structure of an ant nest.

I created a basic concept of an ant nest and now I will design "level-by-level" and put them in this map that is supposed to guide heroes inside of the entire nest.

I will use this thread to post updates on the entire nest design and if you guys want, part of the process also.

Designed the dungeon with Staedler Markers and Ink. Edited it in GIMP. The map scroll was also created in GIMP as a separate file.

Comments and critique are welcomed!

Regards,
    Diego

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ant Nest - Map Lvl 1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	71902

Large Plains area in my campaign has a resident (semi-)sentient formic population, so these maps would be very much appreciated

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by a.coldyham View Post
    Large Plains area in my campaign has a resident (semi-)sentient formic population, so these maps would be very much appreciated
    Hi, Coldyham!

Feel free to use it for your personal game campaing! Glad to know my artwork is being useful!

I will update more tomorrow!

Regards,
    Diego

Guild Member

Ant Nest Chamber 5 WIP - The Chamber for the Queen

The queen stays on the last (bottom) chamber. Eggs are moved by workers to upper chambers and when they hatch, the larvae are also transported and fed in a different chamber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ant Nest - Map Lvl 5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	71952

Guild Member

You can check the Myrmecos Blog with good information on ants biology. They have some pictures of the scientific publication by Tschinkel on casting molds of ants nests, which will give you a better idea of the 3D structure that inspired the Ant Dungeons. Later I will upload the design I created of the nest general structure as part of the first map, for better visualization.

http://www.myrmecos.net/2013/02/24/t...-in-the-field/