8 38.10%
  • Temere Temple (PnP) - By Carbus

4 19.05%
  • Dead Dragon's Treasure a 5-Room Dungeon - Bogie

4 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: December Challenge Voting - Map a Five Room Dungeon

Post December Challenge Voting - Map a Five Room Dungeon

This month's challenge was to map a dungeon with 5 rooms, each of which had a specific theme (i.e. entrance guardian, puzzle, red herring, climax and plot twist). We had some very fine entries this time around. You can view them here:

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

As this was a dungeon mapping challenge, and me being quite the traditionalist as to what I personally think is a dungeon map, this limits my voting down to a few people who I believe actually hit the criteria set in the challenge. Whilst I liked the other submissions (tainotim and eelaeg) and think they looked great, they were for me more illustrations than maps and fell a little beyond what I personally would call a dungeon map as opposed to be being some digital artwork (although very nice). Similary with Carbus, the presentation and display of the cards, the details of the system, the mechanics behind the game and the narrative text on the cards were all really well done and thought out... unfortunately for me the maps were actually the weakest element.

So that divides it between Bogie and KenG for my vote.

They're both very similar in style, using some dunjinni type elements, and they've both been done very well. But I'm gonna give my vote goes to KenG, primarily because I prefer the layout and thought into his dungeon design and think it would be an interesting environment. Bogie's looks pretty good, but the layout was a little less inspiring for my personal tastes.

Great entries by everyone though.

Sadly I didn't get time to enter this one. Sort of a mix of a lack of time and too much alcohol. I've also got some L5R maps to make for an upcoming campaign and a couple as requests.

I liked all the entries and I don't think any of them were bad so it was a tough choice. So I repped everyone too.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some very nice entries. My votes went to Yospeck, Bogie and KenG ( clean and classic looks).
    Tainotim, you've done a pretty nice one though drawing and perspective would need more work imo.
    Carbus, I like the original concept and the design but I'm not fully convinced by the maps parts.
    Eealeg, that coulf have been a nice entry but it really lacks some WIPs which is a part of the challenge's interest for me.

I vote for Tainotim and Carbus. I really love your maps.
    I like "Secrets of the Golden Dawn" for its watercolours shade, for the nice idea of the dungeon and the choise to build the map on a diary page. I think that the descriptions are a little bit chaotic (7 descripions for 5 rooms), but the total work is great, for me. I can totally identify in an adventurer and I can imagine the history of this dungeon.
    The Carbus one is simply great: it respects the description of the challenge beeing completely original and funny. I immediatly loved your work, Carbus, and I apreciate very much your ability to create a map fully concerning the topic but still the only one work different from the others classic maps.
    Last edited by Twonineone; 01-03-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Congrats Yospeck! Great map.

Guild Journeyer

I agree Yospeck, excellent job!!! Congrats on the win.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Thanks guys. Really enjoyed this challenge and felt right at home with it, even though it was a real struggle to get something finished over the holidays. Great job to everyone who entered.

Time to start the next Challenge, any ideas on theme?