Thread: Hi, New to the Site, but got my First Map to Show

Default Hi, New to the Site, but got my First Map to Show

Hi, I'm new to the site, so apparently I'm supposed to introduce myself. I am interested in maps, mostly cities or fortifications. I have studied fortifications somewhat, so I am always excited when I see a map where they are executed realistically, especially artillery fortifications.

I am interested in table top role playing games, though I was only introduced to them about three years ago. The map I want to show is my attempt to create a realistic renaissance style castle complete with bastioned trace. It is for an upcoming campaign I intend to run next semester.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cliff Castle.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	60070

Nice start - welcome to the Guild!

Do you want the final product to look like a period piece, or are you doing a modern depiction of the historical fortifications? And by 'modern' I mean any significantly 'later' style than soon-after-built, including photorealistic views?

I don't understand your question I'm afraid. The castle is entirely imaginary if that helps. I originally drew it on paper years ago because I was interested in medieval castles whose fortifications were later modified to withstand artillery. This was my attempt to work out how that process might work in real life.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Lo thar MrZ, you might be interested in this thread for how to do what you want. Also check out Hoel's fortress Carlsborg.

I like what you have here and look forward to seeing more. I would suggest starting a WIP (Work In Progress) thread. You will get more guidance and critique there than here.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I guess I'm asking whether the map itself is part of role play. Ie if it's a renaissance era castle, is the map going to wind up in a renaissance style, as though some King's cartographer were documenting a newly built ( or 'merely' a hundred years old) structure, or is it pure and simple your drawing of what such a fortification looks like at the point in time of your game?

Neither is right or wrong - just a matter of what you want the look to be.

It's just my drawing of what the castle looks like at this point in my game. I should probably draw the city which it is attached to, but I don't know when I will get around to that.

Welcome to the Guild MrZJunior! Given your background I'm sure that you'll have much to contribute to the Guild. I hope that you continue to post follow-up WIPs of this project as I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you! Where should I post the WIPs? Should it go in the Buildings/Structures forum?

Quote Originally Posted by MrZJunior View Post
    Thank you! Where should I post the WIPs? Should it go in the Buildings/Structures forum?
    Yes that would probably be the best place for it. Although if you do decide to add a town you could also post it in the town maps section.