Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World of Eldoran (in two maps)

Thanks, colors are a big mix of layers for a part (especially in the physical map), and I have my habits concerning the political map (colors had been already chosen from the ancient map).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I've gladly reworked an old map for one of my rpg setting.

All comments still appreciated !
    I am sure I may have just missed your attribution to the original in an earlier post so am just commenting that the central continent of your map is Lythia (from the Harn roleplaying game). I like what you have done with it though.
    Last edited by Brian Smaller; 01-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Yes, you're right ! I mentioned it at the beginning of the WIP (in the regional/world mapping part) and missed to write it again here (so, correction done ).
    I'm a big fan of the shape of Lythia and used it on my old map (which is not here by the way).

Guild Apprentice

These are really nice. I'll agree with what everyone else said about the mountains in the physical map. I think, for me, it's a combination the mountains being quite shiny and not very sharp. Regardless, the colors on both maps are great.

What can I say? This project sparkles.

My taste is to like the political map more.

Why do I like both maps?
    Names: variety, placement, curvature, and blending.
    Letters, some of which are stunning.
    Borders, because they are very easy to see and follow.

Why do I like the political map more?
    Subtlety of coloring.
    Textures, of which there is at least one layer more than the geographic map.
    Coats of arms, all of which are interesting to look at.

What do I think could be improved?

The most notable thing to me was letter spacing. Both of the words Thalassique and Thethys...seem to have odd spacing between the T and the H. The curlings cross over each other instead of temporarily blending into one width. Also Thethys seems to have a space between the H and the Y while none of the surrounding land masses seem to use this convention.

I also notice a tiny little bit of blending discontinuity in the top right corner of the political map's title box. That discovery led me to see that the borders around the coats of arms blend well, but not quite perfectly into their main fields. The blending around the title frame of the geographic map is much better.

Again, I like what I've seen here. Thank you for posting these.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, that turned out really great! Love that political map, and I actually really like how the relief turned out - very unique and cool. Have some rep!
    Last edited by Diamond; 01-23-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

@ Ridgewolf : hey, that's a very complete and organized comment! In fact, there are more layers on the geographical map that on the political, but I may had arranged it more efficiently. You're right for letters spacing : for the Th, it didn't bother me actually (the font acts like that), but for the hy in Thethys, it's quite strange... I wonder if I hit the space bar by mistake...

@ Diamond : relief and labels had been the biggest challenges on those maps (and I've learn a lot by the way!), and I think I'll probably use those mountains again!

I like the fact that you have both the physical and political maps. It shows a lot more detail that way.

Thanks darcsied!

I planned to do one map, at first. But there was just too many things I intended to put on the map, so two maps was a simple solution !

What is the scale on these maps? They look awesome but the one thing they're missing is a scale to tell distances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast