Thread: January 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: Riker’s Crossing

Guild Journeyer

Wip January 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: Riker’s Crossing

I had a little free time today due to the weather on the East coast so I thought I'd try to get into this months Lite Challenge.

This is the start although I'm not really all that sure I like where it is going, however I'm not sure I'll have enough time to chuck it and start with something else.

I'd love to get some feedback and suggestions on this map and how I can make it look better.

Thanks

KenG

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village-3.JPG 
Views:	842 
Size:	896.4 KB 
ID:	60100  

Ahhh, thank the heavens, I was feeling very alone with the only entry, so glad someone else jumped in. I was surprised at the lack of participation considering how many people here make great village maps.

I like the layout of the roads and houses, plus the house shadows give some nice depth. What I don't care for is the river/riverbanks look to flat and have to sharp a border between them. Needs some depth like the houses and blur the river edge a little.

How hard did the storm hit your area? Here in southern Maine we only got about 9 inches of snow, but right now it is -17 f, a very cold night.
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-04-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Yeah I am surprised there hasn't been more involvement in this challenge, but it is the holiday season.
    I'm near Princeton NJ and I don't think it was bad at all. 6-8 inches I was able to get to work on time, but I grew up in Michigan. For most people in NJ this was a major event the governor closed all the state offices and schools were closed.
    We are cold around the 0 degree mark.

Thanks for the feedback on the map. They river needs some work and I need to add a bit more variety to the buildings.
    KenG

I love small village maps. They are my favourite to look at and make. Is that a field just below the large cross-shaped building though? Because it seems to have as much shadow as the buildings themselves which makes it look a but wrong.

Also I hope your bad weather clears up soon. It has just been very windy where I am.

Guild Journeyer

Wip Rikers Crossing

I got caught in the real world and ran out of time on this. Best of Luck to everyone.

KenG

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village-7-1.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	584.6 KB 
ID:	60305