Thread: New member here for some advice and help.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map New member here for some advice and help.

Hi all, My name is Max and new to Cartographersguild. I like to write short stories and I am also working on creating my own fantasy world for a series of books I would like to write.

I was referred here by a friend because I lack the skill of creating my own "Fantasy world map". I have been working on my own "guide" to this fantasy world of mine, but struck a road block when I realized that without a proper and well made world map, I cannot continue on much further.

And this is why I am here, to acquire some advice and help.

I have attached a map I've made using Microsoft Paint. This is only a rough creation for private use and guidance. Let me know what you think of it.

Happy new year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	websentCmap.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	544.5 KB 
ID:	60129  
    Last edited by Maxicus; 01-05-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Not bad for something done with MSpaint. People usually don't use it because you can't separate the elements using layers. Which mean that if you want to delete something, you have to delete everything? For better software you can check here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/so...tml#post232373

I would recommend the Gimp because it's free and it's raster software like MsPaint.

Thank you, I have Gimp, but my lack of time prevents me from learning it. I have heard that it is easy to use, and if I can't find someone here who can help me out, I might have to take the time to learn it then.

Welcome to the Guild Maxicus. Another option (assuming you haven't already done so) is to post commission add in the 'Map Requests' forums. The Guild has a wide range of artists at different skill levels. Some might be willing to take on a project like this for free, however if you wish to attract the talents of a skilled artist you will likely need to provide a financial incentive (proportional to the skill level you are aiming for). Be sure to read the Sticky in the Map Requests section as it will explain how to post the add and what should and should not go in it. Best wishes on this project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Wow, how did you do all those trees like that in MSPaint? I would have been banging my head into the wall...

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. Assisting in the creation of a new RPG world and am looking to make landscape maps as well as dungeon, city and building maps. A previous post suggested using MapForge:

http://www.mapforge-software.com/

I've also seen a list online of other options. Anybody have any experience with these?:

https://geekandsundry.com/6-tools-to...r-own-rpg-map/