Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Hi all,

This is not the first map I post about these two countries, as you might remember. This time however I'm going to (try to) create a more handdrawn look, instead of the satellite image sort of map I used before. I purchased a drawing tablet (the cheap sort: a Wacom Bamboo) and I'm now getting accustomed to using it.

So this is the map I'm starting from:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51685d1359578585-map-twin-kingdoms-aran-ilan-awi_relief6.jpg 
Views:	1400 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	60149

And this is what I have at the moment:

### latest WIP ###

Name:	AWI_handdrawn.JPG 
Views:	820 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	60150

I already have a fairly nice parchment texture at the ready that I'll add as soon as the rest of the details are finished. For now I'm mainly concerned about the look and feel of the mountains and the tapering rivers - it seems I still have to finetune those quite a bit (I just jumped from GIMP to Photoshop and ran into an inspiringly steep learning curve).

Be sure to let me know what you think!
    C
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I think the mountains look great! I like the spiked style you got there. Nothing wrong with the style of rivers either in my opinion. Only thing that I'm not sure about is your coastline stroke. With the smaller islands and lakes the inside stroke hides the white completely, and the strokes look heavier than they are when zoomed out.

I'm not a big fan of the "base map" (even if the colors are quite harmonious).
    On the contrary, your "more handdrawn" version is really good. I like the shape of the lands and your mountains are just excellent!
    I'm sure that your gonna do a very good map from this one.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The mountains looks leaning on the left a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    The mountains looks leaning on the left a bit too much.
    You're right, Max, the mountains DO seem to be leaning to the left a bit. That must've happened subconsciously (maybe my being lefthanded has to do something with it?). In order to address this, however, I chose to create a hell of a lot of extra mountains, and mirror those I already had in my base document. That way at least some of my new mountains will lean to the right, which should balance the overall feel.

My mountains base document (I'm still adding to it as you can see):

Name:	BASE_mountains.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	60170

I also added a first preliminary shading to the mountains. Colours etc will of course be changed afterwards.

### latest WIP ###

Name:	AWI_handdrawn2.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	60171

Let me know what you think!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    You're right, Max, the mountains DO seem to be leaning to the left a bit. That must've happened subconsciously (maybe my being lefthanded has to do something with it?).
    Yes probably, at the start, I seem to have some mountains leaning to the right aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    I think the mountains look great! I like the spiked style you got there. Nothing wrong with the style of rivers either in my opinion. Only thing that I'm not sure about is your coastline stroke. With the smaller islands and lakes the inside stroke hides the white completely, and the strokes look heavier than they are when zoomed out.
    Sorry for not replying to this earlier, Salama. You're absolutely right about the coastlines. What do you think: should I eliminate the smaller dots (those without any white in them)? Or should I try and diminish the stroke width?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Yes probably, at the start, I seem to have some mountains leaning to the right aswell
    Let's just blame geology for that, no one will ever know ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

To start with, i really liked your satellite map *thumbs up* !

Now as to the new, handdrawn version...to be honest, the mountains look way too big to me. If i look at the rivers and the overall map and your worldmap, i think this part of the world is quite big...not just a little local snippet. Therefore i think the mountains are out of proportion. The ones at the bottom left of the continent are quite ok, i guess...but most of the others are too big to my eyes.
    Otherwise, this looks like it will be another good looking map. And the mountains, stylewise, are very well done.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Now as to the new, handdrawn version...to be honest, the mountains look way too big to me.
    As a matter of fact I had the same feeling about the mountains. I guess I got carried away by my enthousiasm ;-). After all the bigger mountains are so much richer in texture than the smaller ones, which makes the smaller ridges look almost cheap in comparison. The thing is, I wanted to convey the idea that this central mountain ridge is really, really unsurpassible (except for two mountain passes), but maybe I did indeed overdo it a bit.

Who else thinks my mountains are a tad too big to be realistic? I can always redraw them - it should be fun!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 01-08-2014 at 02:18 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Okay, I did a quick test on the central mountain range. I'm at work now, so I can't use my drawing tablet to add the shading just yet, but I managed to at least recreate the mountain range with smaller mountains. Below you can find the "old" mountains on the left, and the new (as yet unshaded) ones on the right. Let me know which of the two you prefer!

Name:	mountains_old.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	60184 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains_new.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	60185

thanks for your comments!
    C
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast