Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** January Challenge - Map for a Game ***

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Hi there

So... "Monopoly" can copyright their game, but not the use of the word "Monopoly"? I didn't know Microsoft tried that. That's fun info. :p

Actually, it makes more sense that way. There's tons of books with REALLY similar titles, by different authors, (and often, very similar storylines/characters) so it makes sense that other forms of media would be the same way.

And I didn't mean to single out your entry, lol, it was simply the only entry (and what got me started thinking) and I didn't know how else to explain what I was wondering. I'm sorry if that upset you in anyway, and thanks for helping with your explanation.

Now if I could convince someone to do my rise of nations idea... (Since I would have no idea how to begin, lol)

Anyway, thanks again, everyone!

~Jalyha
    Why don`t you start by looking The Settlers of Catan? Might give you a headstart.
    Think about it, Rise of Nations is a game about domination right? By Culture, Military or Diplomacy. So start by that, you objective is to destroy other nations.
    You choose between lets say 10 nations, each one with bonus (China high population / EUA big military / Japan Robotics, etc that`s up to you).
    By combat you don`t have to reinvent the wheel, start with something simple like Risk, you use dices, if your dices are bigger, you win the battle, fight, war etc.

Just let your imagination do the rest, you have many elements from videogames that can be used in boargames, and vice-versa. Hope I could help in some way.
    See this site for some references:
    BoardGameGeek | Forum | BoardGameGeek

Board Game Design:
    From Zero to Pitch: A Walkthrough for Game Designers ? Game Development ? Tuts+ Tutorials

Man but time flies by. I'd really like to participate in this, and I have already started with my board, but I'm not sure if I have time to finish it... Wouldn't want my first challenge to fail =).

Guild Apprentice

Zefix...
    I've been thinking about making a map of the Great Northern War for the 1775/1812 games for some time now and this would be perfect to try and get at least started, but I've got a bachelor thesis to work on and don't want another mean of procrastination... I hope this challenge will come around again next year or so.
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Oooh, that sounds like a great idea Niall. I really like the 1812 game by Academy Games...I assume that is the game you are talking about? I have yet to try the 1775 version, but it looks good too.

Guild Apprentice

Yes, that's the one I mean. You've gotta try out 1775, it's even better than 1812!
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Question- If the image "scraper" only picks up the last "WIP", how can I show multiple images? For instance, in the current challenge I have a map, three images of the sheets of cards, I am working on 5 images of the player mats, I have the rules currently roughed out in a Word Doc, and I will also have an image for the counters (not started those yet). Wouldn't it just grab the last image I post, regardless of what it is?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I guess you have to merge your images into only one.

I want this one to run again when I have time to participate!

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Thank you both.

I was fairly sure there wasn't a hard and fast "rule" against it, but was worried about "Noob Go Home"-type posts, if a newbie had the gall to enter. :p (It's happened on other forums.)

~Jalyha
    I'm not overly active here, only show up a dozen times a year but I sure wouldn't ever show up if this place treated map artist like that!

We (and by 'we' I don't just mean the moderators, I mean the whole community) don't tolerate "Noob Go Home"-type posts and we never would. If anyone did put up a post like that they would be warned and if they carried on like that, they would be shown the door.

We have nearly 50,000 members and have been running for about 10 years. In that time we have banned 1 member for disruptive behaviour (and that only after repeated warnings - turned out said member was a known troll on a number of forums) which has got to be some sort of forum record (which I have probably now jinxed).

We pride ourselves on giving friendly and constructive criticism and the forum was built with specifically that ethos in mind. We find that the friendly and helpful personality of the site rubs off on the people who join it and we have a great virtuous circle going...and (never forgetting) mappers are *really* nice people

best

Ravs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast