Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** January Challenge - Map for a Game ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post *** January Challenge - Map for a Game ***

Greetings Guilders, to kick off the new year this month's challenge is to make a map (or series of maps) to be used as part of a game. The map could come in the form of a static game board, or as part of a modular game board (e.g. as hexes or cards). How you choose to present the map is entirely up to you. However, all entries should include the following:

• A quick description or summary of how the game is played;
    • A visual representation of other elements of your game (e.g. cards, pieces, tokens etc).

As always, please include the following in your entry threads:

Title each new thread January 2014 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of February, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

I guess my entry was on the wrong month xD

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    I guess my entry was on the wrong month xD
    I'd been meaning to get around to doing a board game challenge again for a while now; your Nov challenge entry just reminded me to do it .

Blog Entries

Hi, I was wondering if these contests are open to everyone or just the pros?

I'm new to the whole idea of map-making, and I only vaguely understand the challenge (board game map? @_o) so I am sure I would be in absolute last place, but I think participating would be a good experience, so... ?

Anyway, so I was wondering if "newbies" can participate. (Officially and unofficially). I didn't see anything about that in the rules.

Thank you.

The challenges are open to absolutely everyone - infact it's preferred that as many people as possible join.

There are two types of challenge - there is the regularly monthly challenge and there is the lite challenge. The lite challenge tends to be a smaller project than the regular one so that it is less intimidating to new people or those with much less time on their hands. But you can enter whichever you wish.

I have always seen the challenge as a fun way to gain experience mapping things I would never normally consider trying. It encourages people to move outside of their comfort zone. It's not a super competitive thing. And you get good feedback too.

What Larb said. A little clarification on 'this' month's challenge, the idea is simply to come up with a game that uses a map for its board (e.g. Risk, Civilization, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Katan etc) or, if it is not a board game, utilizes a map in some other fashion.

Blog Entries

Thank you both.

I was fairly sure there wasn't a hard and fast "rule" against it, but was worried about "Noob Go Home"-type posts, if a newbie had the gall to enter. :p (It's happened on other forums.) But I'm interested anyway. I've found the best way to learn new things/find out about new places is to dive right in as if you belong there.

Anyway...

After reading this and looking at both, I think the Lite Challenge might be more my speed... although with it being close to finished, I don't know if it would make sense to enter now... lol. So I'll try to invent a game, I suppose

Thanks again.

~Jalyha

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I was fairly sure there wasn't a hard and fast "rule" against it, but was worried about "Noob Go Home"-type posts, if a newbie had the gall to enter. :p (It's happened on other forums.)
    Y'know, in all my years here, I can honestly say I've never seen that happen. This is genuinely and consistently the friendliest place I've ever seen on the interwebs.

But I'm interested anyway. I've found the best way to learn new things/find out about new places is to dive right in as if you belong there.
    Yep. Just make it up as you go along. That's what I do.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Thank you both.

I was fairly sure there wasn't a hard and fast "rule" against it, but was worried about "Noob Go Home"-type posts, if a newbie had the gall to enter. :p (It's happened on other forums.)

~Jalyha
    I'm not overly active here, only show up a dozen times a year but I sure wouldn't ever show up if this place treated map artist like that!

Hey, this sounds like a lot of fun! Never participated in these before, maybe now is the time...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast