Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2014 Entry - Steampunk Risk

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

I made some more tweaks and changes to the map. More "continents" are now present, as well as some neutral territories, which dont count towards any continental bonus. The next step will be to make up about 50 to 70 cards, most of which will give the player various bonus actions. These will be similar to the cards that come with the game "Risk 2210", but in a much more simplified form- in that game you got money to buy cards and points for armies. I plan to have players get points to buy both cards And armies. Cards will be events like "Zeppelin Raid!", and "Long range torpedoes", and as many other things I can think up. So in the game, the player will first, add up the number of territories and bonuses he has, and then divides that by 3, like in regular Risk. Then you take that number of points (I may include paper monopoly style money) and use them to buy cards and armies, one for one. Also, I will be making up 5-6 player faction cards. These will have the players faction name, a special ability only they have, and a unique victory condition for each player. Having different ways to win will hopefully keep the relatively quick.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steampunk_risk6.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	60240  

I have started working on the cards. 9 done. Many more to go...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	steampunk cards1.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	60289  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Really nice! My only opinion is about the Booby Trap effect, I think it´s OP, maybe make a player roll a dice? Losing half an army IMO is too much! Or I don´t know make that a desperate card, where all the armies inside that territory (even your own) lose some units.
    Other than that, nice pictures and layout!

Those are lovely cards!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks.

The Booby-trap may be over powered...but notice that you only play it After your opponent has advanced, and thus won the combat. Hmmm...maybe a max. number you can loose. Say, 4 or 5.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timallen View Post
    Thanks.

The Booby-trap may be over powered...but notice that you only play it After your opponent has advanced, and thus won the combat. Hmmm...maybe a max. number you can loose. Say, 4 or 5.
    Oh now I see.Well in that case I think it´s great, a little surprise, but something that´s not a game changer! Keep the good work!

As the ideas for the game rules evolve (in my head) so must the cards...and the map but I will tackle that later. Here is an example of what the cards will now look like. Two new icons and a number will be on most of them. The icon and number to the left shows at what level the Airship track on the player mat has to be at, in order to play the card. The gun icon to the right means the card can be discarded for an additional army, instead of being held or played for the card action.

The game seems to be morphing more into a resource-management game than a Risk Rip-off. Each player mat will have three tracks on it, for army navy and airship. The spaces on the track will go from 0 to 6 and when you collect resource points at the beginning of your turn, you can add them to these tracks, use them to buy cards, or buy armies. Higher levels on the tracks will give you added bonuses, like more dice you can roll in combat. So, for instance, the card attached here would need the player who is holding it to have the Airship track be at level 2 or more to actually play it...but if he (or she!) doesnt have that, they can still get an army out of it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	steampunk cards2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	60296  
    Last edited by timallen; 01-14-2014 at 11:48 AM.

18 cards made...I think I will make up two more groups of 18 for a total of 54 cards.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	steampunk cards3A.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	853.5 KB 
ID:	60301  

And here is a sample of one of the player mats I am working on.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	risk mat3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	646.3 KB 
ID:	60302  

Ooh, ooh pick me, I want to play the Anarchists! Who knows, maybe we'll win this time around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast