Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2014 Entry - Steampunk Risk

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Default January 2014 Entry - Steampunk Risk

OK, I'll give this one a shot. I dont have nearly enough talent to come up with an original game (if I could I would design games for a living!), but I should be able to make something out of Risk. I still haven't gotten tired of Steam-punk, so I think I will try to make up a steampunky Risk game. So far I have a basic map. Now I need to detail it, come up with card backs and card fronts, and counters and player mats and rules. Noooo problem...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steampunk_risk3.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	60211  

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

It would have been nice to see a variation on the world itself and different shaped/named territories (keeping the same bordering countries, but not having it look so much like the earth we know) due to the idea that if we were a Steampunk world then I'm sure the border and countries wouldn't be as they are (plus it would make your game/map more original). Secondly I don't think the text sits particularly well on the map, though typography isn't my strong point either I just know it looks a little rough.

As for the actually map, it looks really great. I love the effects on the borders and the textures work really well and I look forward to seeing how the detailing works out.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

I agree with Yospeck with the typography choice, If it`s bad seeing it digitally, when you print it it will look worse!
    Take a look at these: Steampunk Font - A Collection of Free Steampunks Fonts
    Also with a different variations of the borders, or who knows maybe a new world with new countries, regions, etc, just to keep the idea fresh, and no another Earth-based Risk!

Other than that, I really like the style and colors!

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely look into changing the area names and see about finding a better font. I kept the boarders the way they are because I assumed that the classic Risk layout was balanced for game-play, but I can see about tweaking them.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

As far as the borders go, you would only need to shift them slightly and change the shape so it isn't so conformed to the Risk we know, and that would keep the board balanced.

Practically... is anyone ever going to play on your board? Quite likely they aren't, so balancing doesn't matter and you can just go nuts! Think about which nations would rise and fall and tell a story with the map whilst keeping the general Risk theme. Who cares if Russia is an Industral power and takes up the North!? Have fun with it, we're map makers not game designers.

Here is a bit of work I did on the card-backs. Right now I am thinking there will be two sets of cards- one set for countries, and a separate set that can be purchased and which will give the players special abilities. Figuring out just What those should be...thats a whole other matter.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cardback2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	60218  

we're map makers not game designers
    Actually, I'm an aspiring game designer.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm neither, yet, but I've been told I have a good eye, and I think it's lovely

So... That's all.

kbye

~Jalyha

Here is the latest map. I changed the names, the font and some of the territory boarders. I still don't like the font for the territories, but its getting there.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	steampunk_risk4.jpg 
Views:	1065 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	60222  

Blog Entries

!!

United States of Texas made me laugh. (Although any Texan will tell you it should be bigger).

I really like the designs on the board (ship/airship)

It looks really nice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast