Thread: The Dark Continent

Map The Dark Continent

This is a map I made today for a friend's D&D campaign using tools learned from Ascension's Atlas-style tutorial. He threw together a quick outline in paint, which I then used as reference for the finished piece.

Final:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil Awaits.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	60214

Reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil Awaits.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	60213

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Not a bad effort, the mountains look really good, but the forests are a little too unaturaly green for my liking, and the forest to the top left of the map has a really curved and conformed treeline instead of something more broken up.

The biggest problem with them map is your rivers (don't worry, this is the same for most people) for a number of reasons:

1) Style. They look like they're sat on top of the map instead of being part of it due to no effects being added and being one conformed colour.
    2) Shape. They're way too perfect ad curved, they should be a little more jagged.
    3) Symmetry. They have the same thickness throughout, they should be narrow in the mountains where they start (rivers always start in highland), and thicker when they reach the ocean.
    4) Technical. Rivers don't just suddenly break into a fork, you only find a fork where two rivers merge into one (and the river becomes wider). There only a few rare instances where a river will fork into a new river.

Good job though

Guild Apprentice

Looks like you've got the basics down. I'm finding your seas to be a bit jarring. In most cases I would think the dark and light blues would be closer together and transition more smoothly like this or this. There are exceptions, like around Cuba, but that doesn't seem to happen on the continental scale.

Hello. I want to compliment you on a map which has a very detailed and easy to read shore line. I can not guess at Anarisis's intention, but when I look at this map I think of a map for water breathers and possibly sky walkers because the mountains, the shallows, and the rivers have more easily discerned details than most of the land.

From the little peak of light on the northern arm of the land mass I'm going to guess that you can make forest texture, but for reasons of your friend's campaign have added darkness in excess. This changes the mood of the image and I suspect it will be effective in conveying the state of the campaign.

The rivers are very stylish. I also approve of the scale tool at the bottom. If I were to suggest an improvement it would be a title for the map, a border, and a compass symbol. These things were probably intentionally left out to keep campaign secrets.

I think you have a good map here. Keep posting new projects.