Thread: Geographical knowledge tutorials

Default Geographical knowledge tutorials

Hello. I have made maps before and I know how to use Photoshop as I've been using it on and off for several years, but I'm looking for tutorials of a different sort. There seems to be a lot of tutorials on how to make certain map styles and how to draw them in Photoshop and other software packages, but what I'm looking for is discussion or tutorials on the geographical elements of a map. Is there a guide anywhere on this forum which outlines the dos and dont's and the universal aspects of geography to which all maps should adhere?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Hi!

I was looking for something like this the other day, and found this link: Earth's Natural Resources

It was originally posted here in this thread "Physical Geography"

It seems pretty thorough. Although... I've read through a lot of threads, here and elsewhere, where people discuss the "absolutes" of geography. Every time someone posts a hard and fast "rule", someone else posts an example of an exception to the rule. There's usually a *reason* for the exception, though.

I'm currently finishing up a guide book called 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials, one of the chapters before the tutorials section, discusses landforms - rivers, mountains, lakes, coastlines and other basic geography, including exceptions to geography rules. A second book will add further details. It will be a month or so before release of the first book, however.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

There are several worldbuilding conversations around here that discuss the actions of plate tectonics in landform creation, and there's the venerable How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place thread. There are also multiple discussions of settlement patterns such as this one.

Not many of them are in tutorial form, but there has been a lot of good conversation here over the years. I expect that much of it is in the General and Miscellaneous board.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name