Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Arvaandor

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the lil sculpted hedges, sorta reminds me of some of those crop circle designs. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Love the lil sculpted hedges, sorta reminds me of some of those crop circle designs. Good job.
    Thanks... I found a bunch of tolkien language and alchemy symbols on the Dunjinni forums that someone created, just dropped a couple of those on there with some shadowing and a pattern overlay. I may add more for each building in that inner ring.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Map OK - I think its finished

Allrighty folks, I think I've taken this as far as I care to - beginning to suffer "burn out" on it. So unless someone finds some god-awful, glaring fault with it, I'm going to call it done.

Made quite a few changes since the last update:

1) Added 'curved' hedge mazes - thanks RobA!
    2) Rearranged buildings, etc. on innermost circle for appearance
    3) Added roads/paths leading to buildings
    4a) Discarded the idea of each noble house being distinct
    4b) Added ring of identical towers with glowing 'family rune' on the roof
    5) Added more 'grass sculptures'
    6) Added more trees to other rings to help break up the 'emptiness'
    7) Added a boat that is 'just leaving the dock'

I think that's about it.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions, ideas, assistance, etc. It may not exactly meet my original vision, but I am happy with it none-the-less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arvandor_Flatten.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	5705  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those hedge-mazes look killer now and the trees are sweet as well. All the similarly shaped buildings lends to the idea that this is some sort of governmental or bureaucratic section of a larger city (possibly a center for various schools of magic). I know the amount of effort that goes into making maps this way since I do it much the same way so kudos to you for sticking with it. Hey I know that longboat, I made a brush out of it (loves me some Dunjinni forums). All in all about the only thing I would have tweaked is the rocky bits around the edge of the lake but to each their own. Good job, now take a break and play a game in order to recharge the batteries (I played Civ 4 Fall From Heaven all day Sunday). For your next challenge map out some slums and merchant districts to go around this city-center, heh heh
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Those hedge-mazes look killer now and the trees are sweet as well. All the similarly shaped buildings lends to the idea that this is some sort of governmental or bureaucratic section of a larger city (possibly a center for various schools of magic). I know the amount of effort that goes into making maps this way since I do it much the same way so kudos to you for sticking with it. Hey I know that longboat, I made a brush out of it (loves me some Dunjinni forums). All in all about the only thing I would have tweaked is the rocky bits around the edge of the lake but to each their own. Good job, now take a break and play a game in order to recharge the batteries (I played Civ 4 Fall From Heaven all day Sunday). For your next challenge map out some slums and merchant districts to go around this city-center, heh heh
    Thanks...yup you guessed it, the longboat is "swiped" from the Dunjinni forums (what a goldmine they are...I'm still going thru the forums downloading files). I think I see what you mean by about the rocky edges, they look a little "uniform". Maybe I'll tweak them, depends how ambitious (or bored) I get. Got some other ideas floating around in this cesspool of a brain that are itching to come out, plus I still have my Dwarf-Hold to finish.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Again my thanks Rob! You may see those hedge mazes show up again some day.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456