Thread: CC3 Regional Fun

Guild Novice

Map CC3 Regional Fun

Hello,
    I'm learning CC3 again and trying my hand at some regional mapping from one of the Cartographer annual styles. This is an almost finished map - going to be finished with a scale, border, navigation lines, etc. Be curious for any tips/feedback with either the program or mapping regions in general. I feel like I run into a few challenges consistently: 1) Maintaining scale, 2) Breaking it up too much (i.e. Being afraid to leave space unused), and 3) Printing into quality, viewer friendly pics. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional Fun #1.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	63969

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

This looks Fine to me. It has enought variations to be interesting.

Guild Apprentice

You seem to handle the scale pretty well, given some of the issues one has to scale when wrestling CC3. It is important to consider the implied angle of reference that the CC3 icons add to a map, however. Because of the mountain range, the observer seems to peer over the mountains at the land beyond, which you accomplish well with you landmases seeming to scale down a little on the more distant coasts. You should be wary of the scale that more distant islands have, however. The size you give to Oacenth implies that is is a very large landmass, indeed, because it is so far away from the observer.

I'm not sure that I agree with Scarce about the perspective issue. For the traditional symbol-based style, symbols at the same scale across the map tend to indicate to me that it's a top-down view with a forced perspective on the individual symbols. Making the symbols progressively smaller across the height of the map would be what I'd expect for a true perspective style.

One recommendation that I might make would be to increase the fractalization on the coastline; it looks pretty polygonal at the moment.

A town with a name like Harper's Ferry kind of stands out. Was it the locus of a slave rebellion lead by a fellow named Johann Brun?

Guild Journeyer

I'm not a big fan of the different color of the text. Green on the forest, blue on the water, pink on the mountains? They all blend into the backgroung except the pink. If you want to keep the colors add a glow to the text to get it to pop out more.
    I think the layout us nice.