Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2014 Entry - Treasures of Lohan

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Default January 2014 Entry - Treasures of Lohan

Hey there guys. Another month, another entry. So this time, with game mechanics in mind I started thinking about the theme. My first idea was for a Goblin Exodus games, but I couldn´t figure out how to do it. My next idea was a Merchant Game, where the player travels through the realm searching for different products. After talking to Sk, he pointed me to another direction, a game where the players work for a merchant and must travel the world searching for rare stuff, this time with many players playing. All those ideas were good in my mind, but when I tried put them into paper, well let´s say it sucked.

Last week, I started playing XCOM Enemy Within, and inside the game, there´s a feature where the player must search for the enemy base around the world. To find it, I had to complete various missions, where after succeding in each one, I got a piece of clue about the base location. Clues like ´´The base is west of the Atlantic Ocean´´ or ´´The base is not in Afric´´, and etc. I found this mechanic very cool, and started developing an idea behind it.

Thats how Treasures of Lohan was born. The game is built for 2-4 players, where each one at the beginning of the game, must hide the treasure in the board, and the player must find it through several clues (following the same idea as XCOM). The first player to it´s hidden treasure wins!

I´ll post the rules in the future, they are still being made, but here´s an initial draft of my map. Hope you like it (least to say inspired by -Max- saturated maps, I hope you don´t mind, I love your style!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treasuresoflohan.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	60250

Another update.
    Decided to change some stuff, the trees, the texture, and also added region colors, what you guys think?
    Also here is the some part of the rules so you guys can understand what the game is about.

TREASURES OF LOHAN:

Objective:
    Find the treasure hidden by the player at your right. The first player to find the treasure wins.

Components:
    4 tokens for the players
    80 coin tokens
    1 board
    4 paper mini-boards
    X Location Cards
    25 Event Cards
    1 Dice

Game Start:
    The games starts by each player choosing a spot to hide the treasure from the player at your left. You can mark your choosen spot at the mini-board, through a circle, or other draw that represent where you hide it.

Each player starts with 10 gold, 1 paper mini-board and 1 Player Token. Everyone starts at the city of Lohan, and must travel through the region searching for clues about the hidden treasure.

Player´s Turn:
    The player then decide who goes first. At the beginning of each player turn, he can moves one spot in any direction, and then roll a dice.
    If the result is one or two, nothing happens.
    If the result is three, the player can moves one additional space.
    If the result is four or five, the player receives an event card.
    If the result is six, the player receives on Location Card.
    After the result of the dice, and the following action, the playe than passes his turn to the player to his right.

Event Card:
    When a player receives an event card, through the dice roll, or locations in the board, it must follow the action from the card it receives (i.e. Receive 20 gold)

(more to come...)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	treasuresoflohan3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	60266

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

This is looking great

Blog Entries

It looks *fun* ... I want to play this, lol

Following my fellow competitor, today I started working on the Event Cards. Hope you like.

Name:	treasuresoflohan_CARDS.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	60290

Name:	treasuresoflohan_CARDS2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	60291

Name:	treasuresoflohan_CARDS3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	60292

Name:	treasuresoflohan_CARDS4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	60293

Name:	treasuresoflohan_CARDS5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	60294

Lovely work, love the design. Only issue I'd mention is that the figures look somewhat blurred up close, especially the last one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Trapper Card - The target player "skips" his next turn

Looking good though, but I agree with Arsheesh that the silhouettes are blurred when zoomed in to 100%

Yeah that]s true. That's what you get for working with PS and not Illustrator xD Thank your for the observations, and the grammar error!

No reason Photoshop should be an issue (sure illustrator would definitely NOT be an issue). Presumably you designed them with different dpi's? I'm sure you can sharpen the edges or do a bitmap trace on them fairly easy to neaten them up.

Yeahh I know.. I did a quick dirty job just to check the layout and design. I]ll sharpen them later, I made them at my job hidden from my boss. hahah

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast