Thread: Iria - My First Map

Guild Applicant

Map Iria - My First Map

This is Iria, a project that has become my first ever map and first post here. I made it for my DM for our dnd campaign because I've always wanted a reason to make my own map. I've also attached the sketch he gave me of what he wanted it to look like… I made a few alterations. Hope you all like it, I think it turned out pretty well, the DM loves it and that's all that matters to me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IriaOldColorv4.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	60243
    Iria is a region ruled by the powerful Teifling upperclass. The discovery of firestone has sparked an industrial revolution but the Teiflings have complete control over the new technologies and are using them to subjugate the other races of Iria. The Western Wall and treacherous mountains isolates this oppressive monarchy from the rest of the world and allows the king to do whatever he pleases inside his boarders. The only hope for the freedom of the people of Iria are the whispers of an ancient power and a band of rebels brave enough to find it.
    Created in Photoshop Elements

Thanks to this great site for inspiration, youtube tutorials, and all the below people for free use of their awesome brushes!
    Sketchy Cartography Brushes by StarRaven on deviantART
    Compass Rose Photoshop Brushes by sdwhaven on deviantART
    Scroll Banners - Decorative Photoshop Brushes | BrushLovers.com

I can't wait to start my second map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map of iria.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	60242  

Nice map! Rather simple, yet clean and appealing. Well done for a first map.

For your next map, you might want to consider some small things though.

First of all, when you use transparent brushes, take care that they don't overlap. I don't know how to do that in PS, but there are enough friendly Photoshop users on this forum to help you out with that.
    Second (a little pet peeve of mine), try not to mix different styles. In your case, both the handdrawn brushes and the computer-beveled river and coastline look good... but they don't really mix.

Congratulations for your first map, and I wait to see your next.