Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is the First map I have made.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Map This is the First map I have made.

I may not have the programs to create a high quality map, but I used what resources I do have. Ms Paint and photoshop.
    Last edited by Stevena37; 01-14-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Seems to be a nice map. The layout of your continents is earth-like, but not so close as to make it boring.

The quality... well, yes, it is not great. What bothers me though is that is seems to be unnecessarily poor.

Could you make a post from the original sized map... perhaps just a part, if the whole is to big?

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

It is actually supposed to be Earth-like actually. And I am not sure how to make it the original size on here, but if you click the image, it will enlarge it.

Blog Entries

I have problems posting original sized map too.

I use gimp, and it won't let me upload the xcf or whatever it saves the file as, so I tried copying the whole map and putting it in MSPaint, but then it says the file size is too large?

So I've just been either reducing the size of the image, or fitting it to the window and using the print screen thing... etc...

What is the way around the size issue?

@Jalyha: You should export the map, gimp's xcf is not an actual image, but gimp's impression of it.
    Go to File > Export (or shortcut Ctrl+E) and save your map as something.png. And now you have a displayable version of your map with original quality.

Alternatively, to reduce the size, before exporting go to Image > Scale Image and change its size. Just be careful not to save it after scaling, just exporting, otherwise you will permanently reduce your map's resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rgcalsaverini View Post
    @Jalyha: You should export the map, gimp's xcf is not an actual image, but gimp's impression of it.
    Go to File > Export (or shortcut Ctrl+E) and save your map as something.png. And now you have a displayable version of your map with original quality.

Alternatively, to reduce the size, before exporting go to Image > Scale Image and change its size. Just be careful not to save it after scaling, just exporting, otherwise you will permanently reduce your map's resolution.
    You should Export to a .jpg (not a .png) and go with default compression (usually 85-95%) for the purposes of uploading here or on other places on the internet. This will make the resulting image file about ten times smaller with no loss of quality visible to the naked eye. When you Export it as a .jpg the next dialogue box has an optional box called 'preview in other window' or something like that - if you click the box yes, then after a few seconds it will show you the size of the exported image. If this size is above the forum limit (c. 4.5MB) you can decrease the compression percentage to say 60% or whatever until the image size is small enough to post here. In this way you can get the best and biggest export of your map that would fit on these forums quite easily.

Blog Entries

Oh gosh, thanks. I feel so daft now

I find the earth-likeness to much to be not earth. Makes it feel like an earth ripoff.

Unless, of course, it's supposed to be Earth in a very distant future (I think 30 to 50 million years could have enough tectonic movement for that degree of change, though I do not know, whether this would be a likely constellation)

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus_ View Post
    I find the earth-likeness to much to be not earth. Makes it feel like an earth ripoff.

Unless, of course, it's supposed to be Earth in a very distant future (I think 30 to 50 million years could have enough tectonic movement for that degree of change, though I do not know, whether this would be a likely constellation)
    It is an alternate version of Earth for the story I am writing about. And yes, the time line will be set several thousand years in the future.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stevena37 View Post
    It is an alternate version of Earth for the story I am writing about. And yes, the time line will be set several thousand years in the future.
    A few thousand years would not nearly be enough time for such massive tectonic changes to take place. Then again, it is an alternate version of the Earth, so I guess anything's possible ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast