Thread: Hi Guild!

Default Hi Guild!

Greetings members,

I've been reading the awesome resources from this forum for a while now and I wanted to sign up so I could thank you all for your sharing and amazing work, hopefully I'll be good enough one day (after years of practice) to also give back to the community.

I am originally a software developer
    I like mapping / designing as a hobby. It started when I was in IT undergrad and as an exercise, I had to code a graphic plugin and it all started...

I also create boardgames and I would like to design what I can envision in my mind

Hi! I'm new here too. What's software programming like? I've always wondered My dad does some and it seems complicated to me lol

Welcome to the Guild Riggs802! Glad to here the resources here have helped you hone your mapping skills. Look forward to seeing some of your work. BTW, no pressure but the monthly cartographers challenge is to create a map for a game - might be something of interest to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you I'll take a look at the monthly challenges.

In very simple words, Software programming is like writing a book... but instead of a story, you are talking to a machine.
    So pretty much you use commands to tell the program to do whatever you want
    Something like "draw on the screen circle" would become => screen.addShape(circle).print()
    Then you allocate "resources" (memory) and handle disk space, response time, etc the fun begins :p

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Welcome. I have been a member for a little over a month and a half. In that time I have learned a great deal. I gave up programming many years ago. I can code, that is not the issue. The customers I was dealing with was the issue. I am a trained engineer currently working as a program manager for a publisher. I look forward to seeing some of your maps.

Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs802 View Post
    Thank you I'll take a look at the monthly challenges.

In very simple words, Software programming is like writing a book... but instead of a story, you are talking to a machine.
    So pretty much you use commands to tell the program to do whatever you want
    Something like "draw on the screen circle" would become => screen.addShape(circle).print()
    Then you allocate "resources" (memory) and handle disk space, response time, etc the fun begins :p
    So what else can it do?
    And would this circle look like any other circle in any programs like Gimp or PS?
    Can you add colors?

Such is the question of the inexperienced xD
    Anyways, welcome to Cartographers' Guild.
    I, we and they hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers