Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser

From TL9, Traveller uses gravitic drives. Handwavium states they use gravity in maneuvering the ship. I could give a nice long explanation about vectors and cancellation of local gravitational fields, but I tend to save it for the players.

Basically, inside a planet's gravity well, the drive would be using the planet's gravity to maneuver. Outside, it would use the general field of the solar system. It does have implications for maneuvering the ship should you misjump and find yourself outside a solar system.
    Last edited by Valarian; 07-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

All i can ad to this line of thinking is the comment made in Firefly about the "tilt" one feels as you leave space and "Mother nature take over".

And the side slice looks great.

Do the Modular cutters come out the side? or are the jutting up though like in Andrews depictions?

I don't think that modular cutters are going to fit....see the pic below which is to scale. I think the problem is that although the cutter is only 50 dt in volume and the cruiser 800 odd dt, volume grows geometrically with dimensions. Add to that the the cruiser is a sphere (best surface area to volume ratio) and the cutter a cigar shape (not as good) and you end up with this...unless I've seriously miscalculated. I think the best you will be able to do is a ship's boat or two at a stretch.

The volume of a sphere is 4/3 * pi *r^3.

The radius of the sphere is about 17m = circa 20,500 m^3 which divide by 14 (14 m^3 = 1 dt) = 1464 dt. which is nowhere near the 600 dt - oh heck!

I've posted on the COTI board for help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutter comparison1.jpeg 
Views:	460 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	5554  

I went to the COTI board for help and Dan 'Far Trader' Burns referred me to Brooke's deckplans, which are simply beautiful. Dan agrees that the radius of the sphere should be around 13.5m to get a volume of 800 dt.

I feel totally unworthy .... would you like to use Brooke's deck plans instead?

Yours are cooler

Brookes looks like they were made in Microsoft word

Although with a good amount of info

And doesn’t traveler predate battletech

Post Rubbish. Absolute Rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I went to the COTI board for help and Dan 'Far Trader' Burns referred me to Brooke's deckplans, which are simply beautiful.
    I already linked to them in a previous post. I have taken the time to look at the materials you have posted and I find all of it to be excellently done.

Dan agrees that the radius of the sphere should be around 13.5m to get a volume of 800 dt.
    That is actually faulty thinking. Dan's mistake is that he isn't thing in proportions. This design is not one ship, it is three ships. One ship is 700 dTons, the two others are 50 dtons each.

Imagine a sphere of water. Its volume is 14 ounces (representing the 700 dTons of the main ship). Now you place two one ounce (representing the 50 dTon cutters) cylindrical glass objects into the sphere of water.

The sphere of water is displaced by the introduction of the two glass cylinders.

I will check with some of my math buddies are "Reed College" and see what numbers they come up with.

I feel totally unworthy ....
    Rubbish. Absolute Rubbish!
    Last edited by someguy; 07-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.

OK, after talking With Will, he came up with this.

1 dTon is 14 m^3, so a volume of 10990 m^3 and a radius of 13.8 m.

This assumes:

The main ship is 700 dTons, with two 42.5 dTon cylinders within the hull.

Only 85% of the cutters are with in the ships hull. the other 7.5 dTons are outside the hull.

This has an end hull dtons of 800. (700+(42.5*2)+(7.5*2) = 800.

But anyway, I don't need exact, just close.
    Last edited by someguy; 07-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Those are looking pretty durn good...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast