Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser

Cheers SG, but they're really just quick and dirty models. I'm trying to get a feel for relative sizes of the objects.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    So something more along these lines then?
    Hmm. I was doing some fiddling around and I was thinking that this version didn't need the Cutters at all.

Rather it could have a drop ship that's a saucer shaped that attaches to the underbelly of the ship.

I attached the work sheet of the new design. Hopefully this one is easier to draw.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cheers SG, but they're really just quick and dirty models. I'm trying to get a feel for relative sizes of the objects.
    Hey, ya gotta start somewhere, and I don't have the patience to do 3D modeling.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    Hmm. I was doing some fiddling around and I was thinking that this version didn't need the Cutters at all.

Rather it could have a drop ship that's a saucer shaped that attaches to the underbelly of the ship.

I attached the work sheet of the new design. Hopefully this one is easier to draw.
    Hey stop changing them!!

Have to change the position of the main thrusters unless you want hole in your saucer (plumbers hissed intake of breath) going to cost you a few mega credits that will, mate!

I'll get onto it soon and hopefully more time next week to seriously spend in putting something decent together.

Ravs

Hey stop changing them!!
    It was just a suggestion...
    Have to change the position of the main thrusters unless you want hole in your saucer (plumbers hissed intake of breath) going to cost you a few mega credits that will, mate!
    Here is a very crude illustration of what I though was the maneuver drive setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	5626  
    Last edited by someguy; 08-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.

That's a possibility, but the drives are now in the 'legs' which previously allowed access to the ship. I'm also wondering whether it would be credible to have the engine ports making direct contract with the ground (only because I haven't seen it before).

I really do like your new idea though (I was joking about the changes!) and far prefer working with something original than one that has already been drawn (usually much better) by others.

How about mounting 4 thrusters in between the legs? (errrrr so to speak)

Quick mock-up below. With an extra copy of the saucer placed away from the main ship.

Name:	four engines.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	5632  

It might also be doable to make the saucer into the top segment of the sphere.

That's a possibility, but the drives are now in the 'legs' which previously allowed access to the ship. I'm also wondering whether it would be credible to have the engine ports making direct contract with the ground (only because I haven't seen it before).
    What I was thinking was that the elevator was between the engines. But I also like your idea too, it makes the ship look less like the standard Broad sword.

I was thinking of calling this an "Ares" class Merc Cruiser.
    I really do like your new idea though (I was joking about the changes!) and far prefer working with something original than one that has already been drawn (usually much better) by others.
    No worries, that how I took it.
    How about mounting 4 thrusters in between the legs? (errrrr so to speak)
    Quick mock-up below. With an extra copy of the saucer placed away from the main ship.
    One possibility is to do away with the legs and make them restartable landing struts. Or would that be too much like the battletech ship?
    Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    It might also be doable to make the saucer into the top segment of the sphere.
    Now thats a good Idea. The lander has the same AR (Armor rating) as the main ship. It would keep it out of the way of the main thrusters. However, it would have to complete the sphere rather than just attach to the outer hull; otherwise it would downgrade the hull to Unstreamlined.
    All the vehicle bays would have to be up top otherwise they couldn't transfer to the drop ship.

Name:	Landing-strut-crop.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	5640  

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    One possibility is to do away with the legs and make them restartable landing struts. Or would that be too much like the battletech ship?

Now thats a good Idea. The lander has the same AR (Armor rating) as the main ship. It would keep it out of the way of the main thrusters. However, it would have to complete the sphere rather than just attach to the outer hull; otherwise it would downgrade the hull to Unstreamlined.
    All the vehicle bays would have to be up top otherwise they couldn't transfer to the drop ship.
    Right, the idea was to have a "crater" in the top where the ship would sit. The smaller ship could function as the bridge for the larger or could just be dead weight.

One other thing that's an option with the older concept of cylindrical drop ships is to use the manueuver drives of them as aux drives for the main ship.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast