Thread: Heraldry

Default Heraldry

There's very few posts here about heraldry, which is sad. So join in and share your devices! Might help someone seeking inspiration to draw a few devices, or start discussions about heraldry.
    I Just finished some heraldic devices from a region of my world:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armorial.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	60387

Oh, and I know that the crown is wrong, I'm just too lazy to draw an appropriated one now.

Blog Entries

I haven't got any designed arms to show, but I thought I would offer up some great source material for this topic

First a book (you don't need an e-reader) A Complete Guide to Heraldry (1909), and for less heavy reading, a site: International Heraldry.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Until recently I had the version of Fox Davies that was printed in the 1950's. We had a pipe break in the house that destroyed all of my reference materials. The set of arms aren't bad. I like the Russian style shields. if you get detailed in how set of arms work in your world you might want to write up a blurb on how it is different from the English collage of arms for someone will take you to task about any differences. I have already had that fun.

Here is one of the arms I have created for my world.

Name:	Old wolf.png 
Views:	768 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	60398

Take care
    Tracker

Blog Entries

That's true about the blurb, I suppose.

Heraldry is like anything else... Experts, self-styled experts, and enthusiasts will always point out anything that doesn't fit what they know about a subject. ( ) But sometimes it's good to talk through those things and get a feel for *why* things work a certain way in the real world. Sometimes it is important, and sometimes it's really not, but it's always good to learn new things.

I'm struggling right now, trying to find that fine line between making a believable world and getting bogged down in the details.

Heraldry is an interesting subject. The rules of heraldry seems complex and rigid but are not the same everywhere. That means more freedom in a fantasy world where you can set the rules. The only rule of thumb I see is that you always need to have high contrast colours since the signs must be easy to spot on a battlefield. A good heraldry or flag also need to be simple and easy to make. Cost can become an issue if you have to make a lot of them in a pre industrial world. But not all flags are good ... Compare French flag with state of Pennsylvania for example: File:Flag of Pennsylvania.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Guild as some good ressources:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...tutorials.html
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...templates.html

And I'm working on a layout to create easy heraldry with illustrator. It won't be automated; it will be done the hard way. Right now the file is in .AI and I am unsure how will turn out with other file types. PNG is a good file type but I would need to save each file separately and they can't be resized.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-18-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Here's a couple of samples of heraldry from some of my conworlds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heraldryown1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	60408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heraldryown2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	60409  

I love it when the heraldry has a unique shield, it helps differentiate different cultures or personalities to me.

These aren't mine, but I think Dragon Age has some wonderful examples of heraldry:

Name:	Orlesian_heraldry2.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	60428Name:  Orlais_heraldry.png
Views: 1206
Size:  63.4 KB

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    I deal with a great number of Heralds in the SCA and actual heralds from the English and Irish Collage of arms. That is why I mentioned the Blurb. Also creating the rules for the different races of the game world allows me to stay consistent which in the end my players love.

Tracker

I really like Heraldry but i'm not good at making my own so I purchased a software

I posted this not too long ago in the Mapping Elements section of the forum, but here it is anyway.

Fantasy Shields - A Coat of Arms generator for your personal heraldic shield! - For RPG campaigns or World Building

Great website for putting together some unique heraldry for free! A version 2 currently has a very limited demo on the site, but the version 1 still works fine and is a great tool.