Thread: The latest map draft for the world in my book

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Wip The latest map draft for the world in my book

Greetings everyone. I appreciate the compliments and criticism that was shared on the other map drafts that I have presented on here. This map design is the latest draft for the map, and I am leaning on going with this layout. Let me know what you all think. But if any of you ask me the reason for the detail being thin and limited, the reason is this: I am looking for a map similar to this kind of quality since it will more than likely be printed within the pages of my book. It will need just enough detail to give the readers a basic idea of the world in which they are reading about. However, later down the line it is a possibility that I may include a more detailed map, being that this is a book series. But for the moment, just the basic concept of the world is all that I am needing. And as mentioned before, I am not a pro at this. I am just a writer trying to draft a visual concept of the world I am writing about. And with this latest map, I believe I now have a better understanding on how to progress even further with my story. Thank you all for your time. Have a blessed day.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map5bcccc.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	60407
    Last edited by Stevena37; 01-18-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Pleasing. The contrast is low, what with the thin, faint linework. Consider printing out a copy on slightly cheap & fuzzy paper (typical laser/ inkjet/ typewriter paper is way better stuff than most books are built of), at the size of a typical paperback's page, and see if it's clear enough for Joe Averagereader. The amount of detail and lettering is certainly fine for a book map.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Pleasing. The contrast is low, what with the thin, faint linework. Consider printing out a copy on slightly cheap & fuzzy paper (typical laser/ inkjet/ typewriter paper is way better stuff than most books are built of), at the size of a typical paperback's page, and see if it's clear enough for Joe Averagereader. The amount of detail and lettering is certainly fine for a book map.
    Thanks for the compliment. After doing the editing on the layout for the background, the lines and lettering ended up fading a bit. But I am sure that I can darken them back up without messing up the background. And I appreciate your response. I have created at least 8 maps before I was able to create the one in this post.

I like the...faded(?) style. It does a very good job of making it seem authentically old, like how the natural fading of old ink into that brown color. I really do appreciate this map, as most authors do not go for this style of maps in their books.