Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Continent of Essaria - First map, and with some backstory!

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    Although I understand the temptation for different fonts to help set apart cultures, if its for public consumption I would reconsider. For personal use, fine, but out in the greater world, probably not the best idea.

Otherwise, a nice first take from a visual standpoint.

And the color choice for the empire, not fond of that blending so closely with the water, but that's me.
    Thank you! Point taken on the Empire, I'll definitely change it. They were originally much more dark but when I lowered the transparency of the nation layer to make it look better, I failed to notice the Empire had blended with the ocean. Woops!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Regardless of whether you use an array of fonts or not, fraktur in small sizes gets pretty illegible. That might wind up a deciding factor in whether you use font as culture symbology - if one can't read what the name of the country is, then which culture it belongs to may be moot.

But I like it. Nice job!
    I figured that if I could read it others could, but I'm realizing now that it's probably just because I typed it and know what should be there. I'll change it now, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevena37 View Post
    Looking great. Way better looking than my first map. I am also a writer. From what I can tell by looking at your map, I am already interested in seeing what your novel will be about. Great Job!
    Thank you so much! I'm happy you like it.

So far my plan is:
    -Redo country names with a single font
    -Make the word backing transparent
    -Change or darken the color of The Empire

I'll post V2 when it's done! Question though, should that be in a new thread or just in this one? I'm foggy on the rules.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Everyone else already said everything I was thinking, so I'll just chime in with the fact that that's one of the coolest continent layouts I've seen. Has a good, natural, realistic flow to it. The only thing I'm wondering about is that string of lakes in the middle of the Empire. Are those natural?

Also, glad folks are finding that tutorial useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Everyone else already said everything I was thinking, so I'll just chime in with the fact that that's one of the coolest continent layouts I've seen. Has a good, natural, realistic flow to it. The only thing I'm wondering about is that string of lakes in the middle of the Empire. Are those natural?

Also, glad folks are finding that tutorial useful!
    Thanks! And thank you so much for the tutorial again! It wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for it.

The lakes are mixed. It used to be the central lake and some of the outlying ones, connected by a river. Forty years or so ago, a massive storm slammed into The Empire that was so bad that The Empire himself purchased indulgence during the event, hoping the gods would save his land.

The storms eventually settled, and when it did it left the plains flooded. The water receded, but stayed pooled in the center of The Empire, leaving the series of lakes that are now there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12