Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Jannah Manor

I think this is going to work much better!

Blog Entries

Thanks Bogie! I sure hope so.

I added some more stuff, and I just slapped some colors on a copy so I can see clearly what the things I have will be

Figured I'd put it up here.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manor color.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	60574

Blog Entries

Advice??

adding a bunch of detail stuff at the moment, but something is wrong with my swing? Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

(The colors are just to help me see where I am working when I'm zoomed way in, they aren't going to stay!)

Name:	swing.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	60576

It looks weird

I think it is just the all green that makes it look "weird", my first impression is "circuit board", but it is just because of the color. Once you get some textures and better colors it will look fine.

Oh yeah, That works so much better! Its coming along really well!
    I don't see anything wrong at all, maybe you're just too hard on yourself?
    I agree with bogie, maybe whatever you feel its wrong comes from the lack of colors and textures.

Let me two maps that I think have the same feel and style so you can look for inspiration when you hit a wall:
    Arnay
    Takauro

I did had more, but I don't remember the names. Ill post them here when I find it!

The castle from the other one was really promising, you should finished that one later, without the restraints

Blog Entries

Hooray! The gate in Arnay picture showed me what was wrong with my swing

I'm actually pretty happy, because this *feels* more like a map, lol

(Jealous that whoever did that map already had my maze idea, but oh well)

... I'll keep working at it and hope it's just a color issue

(And yes, I'm still working on the mountain/castle thing, but it's turning less map and more painting, so idk...)

<shrug> ... I see two triangles, a lopsided square, and a circle-ish. Tell me again why he can't enter? Ooooooh - just because he didn't do his own labels. Hmmmm. Problematic, that.

Maybe if you had done *generic" labels as elements, y'know, and they were stuck onto his mountain-house-tree map like many of us rely on freely available symbols... I'd cut some slack for a guy who can't write very well yet just like I'd discount problems with the palette of a color-blind cartographer. Which we have, by the way. And last I remember his maps were great.

I don't take myself seriously, and I kid a lot, but I am NOT making fun of your son's map. It would be great if HE made fun out of it, y'know? Tell him somebody asked if you can see a train from that house. I'd draw tracks near my house. Plus they're a) an easy symbol that b) a four-year-old guy might like. I know - I was a four-year-old once. Might still be one...

If you're having trouble coming up with features you like that are the three shapes, try making the shapes negative spaces instead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    <shrug> ... I see two triangles, a lopsided square, and a circle-ish. Tell me again why he can't enter? Ooooooh - just because he didn't do his own labels. Hmmmm. Problematic, that.

Maybe if you had done *generic" labels as elements, y'know, and they were stuck onto his mountain-house-tree map like many of us rely on freely available symbols... I'd cut some slack for a guy who can't write very well yet just like I'd discount problems with the palette of a color-blind cartographer. Which we have, by the way. And last I remember his maps were great.

I don't take myself seriously, and I kid a lot, but I am NOT making fun of your son's map. It would be great if HE made fun out of it, y'know? Tell him somebody asked if you can see a train from that house. I'd draw tracks near my house. Plus they're a) an easy symbol that b) a four-year-old guy might like. I know - I was a four-year-old once. Might still be one...

If you're having trouble coming up with features you like that are the three shapes, try making the shapes negative spaces instead.
    Omg I just laughed at that for almost 20 minutes straight!

He can't enter because he can't type well enough to make his own account, and (as an avid club penguin-er) he knows better than to let anyone know his password, so he won't let me make one for him

(Plus I'm afraid I might get in trouble if my kid started posting: "uyeihgh;reh;b dog eih hrds hfdslgigbbebjebbreoeeeiuiueriurui" all over the forums. So...

No worries, though, he has his map hanging on the fridge, and he thinks (i don't know how) that he already won the challenge, so...

(and I totally believe you as a 4 year old)

If this manor-map doesn't work out, I'll try the negative space idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I somehow missed the post about your son's map before, that's ADORABLE! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    uyeihgh;reh;b dog eih hrds hfdslgigbbebjebbreoeeeiuiueriurui.
    Hey! That's my name right there, for real. Damn monosyllabic name, when people do the random typing thing, it always turns up! Lol

Blog Entries

Thanks

He once said he wants to be an artist when he grows up. I asked if that's cause he wants to be like mommy. And he said "no i's better than mommy". I said "You're a better painter than me?" And he says yes, cause he just painted the WHOLE WALL. Sure enough, when I ran to check....

But anyway...

Tested some colors and textures to see if it helps... and fixed the swing (Yay!)

With and without my outline:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	60591

Is it any better?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast