Thread: January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Geometria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Geometria

I think that I was too subtle about the geometry in the image. I can post the mask for those who want to see where the underlying circle, square, and triangle are.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geometria.jpg 
Views:	10284 
Size:	589.1 KB 
ID:	60460

Blog Entries

lololol.

Would you please? I can't seem to find them....

(This is lovely, by the way. And funny. )

I think I see a square over there, by the lower left corner, other that that no noticeable shapes =P
    I love your rivers, did you use a simulator?

I did the basic masks to enforce terrain shape in Photoshop (masks shown below), processed in Wilbur using the basic precipiton/incise flow loop, and finished up in Photoshop for details like the label and border. The Wilbur outputs included the River Flow operation to get the rivers and a few of the lighting operations to get the basic terrain texture. I had considered going with the semi-3D presentation that I've used in the past, but I went with simpler this time.

Coast mask

Name:	coast.png 
Views:	4204 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	60475

Lower mountains

Name:	mlo.png 
Views:	5545 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	60476

Upper mountains

Name:	mhi.png 
Views:	7957 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	60477

Blog Entries

Lololol. (You do realize I was kidding about the shapes?) XD

I seriously... don't... laugh often, but this was so cute/funny... I'm positively dying.

Map: I'm just impressed that it looks as real as it does with such strict adherance to the "shape" requirement.

This is awesome.

Crazy Good! The first thing I thought of when I saw this was "Home of the Modrons"

Background, to go from "picture" to "map"? You've heard of "programmer art"? Well, this is "programmer story".

In a truly infinite universe, anything can happen. Even the most implausibly silly things...
    A long time ago, three little gods were boasting about how powerful they were. The largest, a chubby fellow, challenged his fellow gods to a contest. The other two, a vaguely insectoid entity and a solid blocky type, agreed to the challenge: create an awesome world. Now these were small gods, not exactly up to challenge of creation from nothingness, so they searched out a pocket universe of indeterminate size that had already been created by a more able but less interesting god, one whose passion was ocean vistas. Lots of water, lots of sky, nothing else. Like to gods themselves, the rules were simple: do something. (WHO’S THIS? C’MERE, I THINK HE’S TALKING ABOUT US!) <Really? I doubt it. It’s just us here> [How would you know?] And being little gods, their notions of creations were a bit simplistic. (I AM NOT LITTLE!) All that they could summon the understanding to create was a soft and fine-grained substance, very much like cheese, but without the color, flavor or nutritive value. <What’s cheese?> [What’s flavor?] (WHAT’S NUTRITIVE VALUE?) The rules were simple: do stuff. (SIMPLE IS GOOD!) Being very little gods indeed, their notions of form were very limited. <Did he just insult us?> The chubby god (HE CALLED ME FAT!) could only do round forms, the insectoid one could only do triangular forms, and the blocky one formed square forms. <As it should be: only the triangle has a proper shape> [Pffft. A triangle is completely lacking in proper angles and lacks any sort of parallelism]. (WAIT. WHAT’S NUTRITIVE VALUE MEAN?) The chubby one (I AM NOT FAT!) raised a large circular form. (I AM OSSUM!) [Hush] The other two gods pushed parts of the primitive circle back under the waves, each with their trademark shapes. (IT’S STILL NOT FUNNY!). All but the chubby one then proceeded to raise more of their shapes in their opponent’s area, and built one on top another for quite a while. There was still only that one circle because the chubby one couldn’t quite grasp the notion of “more than one”. (STOP THAT!) After a while of playing their game (CONTEST!) <CONTEST!>[Idiots], the gods became distracted by the pretty sky and ocean and stopped playing. The rules of the original creator god were still in play and the forces of water and wind slowly began to erode the material that formed the land, playfully sculpting the shapes and coloring the land into what we see today. It’s still relatively barren, but the shapes are a little more interesting <Than what?> [Than his limited understanding, obviously]. History does not record what happened to those little gods (I’M RIGHT HERE!), but their creation still erodes away, wafting its cheesy smell across that little world (WHAT’S CHEESE?)

Blog Entries

HA!
    What's CHEESE?!

I love the map AND the story. (And now am, strangely, hungry !)

Oh wait I should have done the parenthesis different.. >.<
    Have you "liked" a post today?