Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Site!

Post Great Site!

Hello. Just signed up today. what a great site. I'm looking forward to expanding my map making abilities. I've used CC since the old dos days, but I'm ready to take my maps to the next level. Art has never been one of my strong suits but I've found recently I've been intrested in leaarning. I bought a wacom pen tablet and had no idea of how useful they are. My current maps are just stock CC stuff so nothing really to offer here yet...
    John

Welcome to the Cartographers' Guild! I would love to see those 'stock' CC maps, as that was all I have ever used, and I have come to know that a lot of really nice maps can be made using just CC, CC2, CC2Pro and now CC3.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Map Example

Here's something I did the other day for an adventure I was working on. A small town at a crossroads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haldren.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	948.6 KB 
ID:	5498  
    John

I like it. It is concise and well laid out.

The only suggestion I have is to check some of you setting for symbols, as all your trees are identical, and I am pretty sure there is some way to place randomly selected and rotated trees.

Similar for some of the buildings.

Note, this is not a negative critique, just that repeating patterns are easily picked up by the Human Eye, and is a trap I fall into as much as others.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That's why i joined, to move from simple maps to works of art. Thanks for the sugestions. I know the trees are kind of lame, but I use the same house in my maps sometimes to show what type they are, small orange ones for low income, medium size blue ones for medium income, and so on. It doesn't look too nice but it is easy to see for game masters. I've got a larger city based on this principle that I'll post in the appropriate group later today.
    John

Hi there, jreiswig and welcome to the Guild! Wacom tablets have transformed the mapping lives of pretty much everyone on this site. Better go grab Gimp and inkscape if you haven't already!

I have Paint Shop Pro XI, and might give Photshop a try. I downloaded and installed GIMP and I don't think I'll be using it, as I can't stand applications with tool windows everywhere, it drives me crazy and this is supposed to be fun.
    John

Welcome to the Guild jreiswig!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I use PSP too V7 I think it is but I thought it was getting worse not better after about 5 so called a halt to it there. I have an old old serial tablet that does not run on my main machine so I have to VNC it from a slave... what I do to save a penny eh ?

Post Data Display

I really like your idea of using colors to indicate wealth of buildings, very clever method of giving the players more than just a simple map. You have me thinking about other things I could deliver in the maps I make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast