Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Argona - my first city map (WIP)

Yeah I didn't even spot them initially!

What about this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dokkheim labels.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	61777

They're a bit better, but still don't stand out very much since they now match the roads so well. A drop shadow or a stroke on the text would make it clear, but then it wouldn't match the rest of the text... :/

Yes It's hard to read by why is it so dark ? I like the idea of using light colors to match the torch or keep the black labels and add ''Lueur externe''.

I admit that at first I was not sure I liked the style but now I think it's pretty good (based on post 9

Thanks Azelor! You mean, your post? I think it's post 8 actually

I did everything in the same "torch" color. I think it's legible and correct... what do you think?

Name:	Argo dispo neo.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	61805

I like it, it is definitely more legible and emphasizes the fact that Dökheim lies under the rest of the city.
    One last thing I saw (sorry): The Dökheim map has shadows on the right and the left side but on the top and bottom part the image is simply cut off rather abruptly, that looks a bit weird, too sharp somehow. Like, if it was done in ink, the darker Dökheim ink would have soaked into the background paper a little bit - with the rest of the map that effect is achieved by those light shadows on the sides, but not there:

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-26 um 22.00.46.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	61812
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Yep, you're right obviously. That's not much work, so don't be "sorry" for this common " Jalyhan neat picking"
    On the contrary, I would have missed that!

I appreciate all the tips and tweaks that are making something good even better, but with or without the improvements, your city is made out of awesome, frosted with awesome, with a side dish of awesome.

Staring at it - which it draws one into doing - a possible enhancement i could think of might be for the buildings to be different heights. At the moment they look all the same - a few longer shadows, including some lapping over onto others' roofs, would tell a story of where your (relative) skyscrapers are. BUT! strictly as a set of symbols, the current view is fine, if you aren't going for photorealism.

I haven't followed the progress on this map for a while, but it's looking really great now. jbgibson forgot to mention that it's been served with a glass of awesome in the awesome house of Mr Awesome. I really love the way you did the undercity. It really looks like a place lit only by streetlamps/ceiling lights.

I disagree with jbgibson about adding height shadows. I don't think it is necessary, but perhaps something could be done to highlight the notable places/buildings in your city. My suggestion would be to darken or burn those buildings a bit.

The only problem with this map (and I used to complain about this to Max, too) is that it makes me want to learn French.

I'm pretty sure once this is finished, there'll be a new Cartographers' Choice prize awarded.

THW

Thanks so much jbgibson and THW! I'm just a bit speechless... I feel a bit lost in the too many "awesome" of your both comments

By jbgibson
    BUT! strictly as a set of symbols, the current view is fine, if you aren't going for photorealism.
    I'm do not intend to get a "realistic" feeling, more for a "city map" in a guide.

By TheHoarseWhisperer
    The only problem with this map (and I used to complain about this to Max, too) is that it makes me want to learn French.
    Well, I'm sure you could actually learn french

Both of your comments makes me have some doubts. Before reading it, I was going to post the picture below with the comment "almost done, just lacking the logo of the Company"... But now...

By TheHoarseWhisperer
    My suggestion would be to darken or burn those buildings a bit.
    Well, I am sure I won't change the shadows (I am just glad of it like this), but I'm intriguing by your suggestion THW. What do you mean exactly? I fail to see how it could show the different levels. Could you explain?

Name:	Argo dispo neo.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	61883

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast