Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Argona - my first city map (WIP)

Default Argona - my first city map (WIP)

I finally decided myself to try a city map. Since I worked on Eldoran lately, I chose the famous city of Argona, unavoidable for this setting.
    Argona is a flying city (the "port" is for zeppelins and other flying vessels) and the seat of the "Argonauts Company", a city made possible by a lot of magical properties (the crystal stone of the city itself mainly).

It's a work in progress that takes me a lot of time... here is just a part of the city (a quarter approximately) and I don't know what's looking better between those two effects... or no effect at all perhaps. Just wanted to have your point!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArTest1.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	60505

Name:	ArTest2.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	695.4 KB 
ID:	60506

I think the second looks the better of the two for this style map rather than the bevel in the first one. It's looking very impressive, by the way.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'm with larb on this, the first bevel effect just looks off for me. Nice work
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-21-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Seconded (or thirded, really) on the bevel. Also I think there's something about the port that doesn't quite work. It might be that it looks extremely unfunctional (what with the tight spaces your zeppelins must get into), but mainly I think it is how it joins the rest of the city--the waterfront (airfront? skyfront?) doesn't fit with the rest, at this stage. Nice job otherwise.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I agree with THW. Looking at the map again and trying to guess the scale on it, the port seems a bit complicated and not very functionnal on many parts of it.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Yep, the more I look at it, the more I prefer the simple shadow effect... and now that you're pointing it out, I agree about the port too.
    There are not only zeppelins (flying creatures, airships propelled by air elementals, etc), so the spaces are not really an issue. But still, it do looks too complex, "overloaded" and the "skyfront" is indeed not well connected (like "skyfront" by the way ).

To put it short, let's rework it!

Well, I took inspiration from my Dublin city map to do those new piers for the airport and skyfront. I changed the wood texture.

Name:	Skyport test.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	1,017.2 KB 
ID:	60597
    Better in my opinion, but still not sure it's really working. Any advices would be very welcome!

I like it and I think this version is better too.

Blog Entries

I think it's really fantastic!!

I'm just trying to imagine... I know they are flying, but eventually everything has to land... or anchor, or something... right... and I'm trying to imagine your skyfront full of ships and flying things, and trying to navigate through those narrow areas?

I can see it as possible, and more possible depending on the size of those ships and wingedbeasties but I can imagine there would be many fender-benders, and accusations, and brawls on the piers because of it

I hope you have good peacekeepers! :p

Thanks Azelor and Jalyha!

By Jalyha
    I can see it as possible, and more possible depending on the size of those ships and wingedbeasties but I can imagine there would be many fender-benders, and accusations, and brawls on the piers because of it

I hope you have good peacekeepers! :p
    airships and winged beasts comes in different sizes, but you're right, it's certainly a busy place! Not so much true brawls on the piers though, because the port is mainly used by the Company itself. And yeah, the peacekeepers are quite good

The city never go to land or anchor ; it moves quite slowly and avoid the civilized areas for its own protection and keep its secrets and mysteries. A large part of the trade is made by a magical system of teleportation using big magic stones (of course well guarded) connected to Company counters throughout the world. The port is of use for those who are trusted and informed of the coming of the city and for Company explorations.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast