Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snagglefjord

Medieval Demographics Made Easy

Be sure to check out the Calculators and Spreadsheets bit at the very bottom of the page.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post

Be sure to check out the Calculators and Spreadsheets bit at the very bottom of the page.
    That's a very useful site. Sets good baselines to use anyways. One problem with fantasy is of course it could completely screw everything up. Lets say there is common magic that doubles the crop yield per acre or some such. That sort of thing plus constant monsters in an area is bound to cause changes to the demographics in pretty unpredictable ways.

Quite true. Unfortunately, though, I have yet to run across credible census data from a magical realm!

It should also be noted that these guidelines represent England at a particular time (11th century, if I recall correctly). It should be adjusted if the society being modeled has better or worse technology (or equivalent magic).
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030719a

This is also fairly useful, even if not entirely accurate. The web enhancement goes over most population sizes, etc, including magical classes by level.

At some point in fantasy games, you have to let the economics go. I once tried to think about the forces necessary to induce an industrial revolution in a fantasy world. They found several days latter in my room, mumbling in the corner something about create food/water.

EDIT: I'm really looking forward to the examples Ascension!
    Last edited by Redstar; 08-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Wow!! That is a beaut! It has a TON of character, and an subversive feel that makes me want to wander the landscape. Repped and thread rated.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

A beautiful map (if, as mentioned, not as traditionally rough-and-tumble as one might expect from Vikings - but breaking expectations is always interesting)!

I absolutely adore your water - you've really nailed a great feeling of translucency... Any hints on how you accomplished it?

Rep'd!
    PD

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've got some friends in town tonight since our 20 year high school reunion is tomorrow. I'll see what I can do about writing up a lil tutorial. It's fairly simple but it has many layers, 8, I think. If I get the time I'll do it up as soon as possible, Sunday night at the latest.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12