Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snagglefjord

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post Snagglefjord

So here is the finished main city. I was going to do up a version with a key but once I got to 75 in numbers for locations my map was becoming obscured and I still had another 50 to go, so if you use it then you can key it however you please I had to bump the quality down from 12 to 11 to make the file size so I don't know how much it will be affected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snagglefjord.jpg 
Views:	2261 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	5483  

Post Its Grand!

Congratulations, it turned out very well. Has a stately feeling to it.

Good job

Sigurd

Looks really cool.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, can't wait to see the other maps that go with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Beautiful work Ascension. Dark and rich palette gives it a very polished and classical feel.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hey great job Ascension!

I was wondering - did you emboss the fill on the buildings to make the roofs or did you create them in something besides photoshop/gimp?

Also, your textures are killer! Where'd you get them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    So here is the finished main city. I was going to do up a version with a key but once I got to 75 in numbers for locations my map was becoming obscured and I still had another 50 to go, so if you use it then you can key it however you please I had to bump the quality down from 12 to 11 to make the file size so I don't know how much it will be affected.
    I love It, Top Notch!

Praise

Very nice. I like the wild look of the hills around the edges. Town is neat but a bit prettier than most viking settlements are depicted commonly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tancread View Post
    Very nice. I like the wild look of the hills around the edges. Town is neat but a bit prettier than most viking settlements are depicted commonly.
    Maybe they're vikings with style.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I totally agree with the pretty and uber-civilized thing, when I first started the map it was nothing but huts and since that doesn't really lend itself to anything very striking from a visual point I started decorating instead of designing. Once I started throwing in bells and whistles I couldn't stop and my Nordic fjord evolved into something more like a Mediterranean bay. I even spent 4 nights researching medieval occupations (I have a super huge list now) so that I could put in as many different things as possible and once each occupation had it's own building I had forgot to put in housing so I went back and ripped out a bunch of stuff...live and learn. Guess I need to get myself a copy of the DM guide so it can tell me exactly how many cobblers and weavers that a city of X size needs instead of just using my experience with city-building games and my intuition.

Redstar, the buildings are all just various layer styles: pattern overlays, color overlays, bevel/emboss, etc. I'll be posting these styles for all of the Photoshop users to use, probably later tonight once I get em all labeled correctly, as well as the brushes I've created for the buildings and stuff. That's what I was doing last night instead of mapping. These will be over in the mapping elements subforum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast