Thread: Mizhan's Well

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post Mizhan's Well

Realized that I never put my finished oasis up so...here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mizhan's Well.jpg 
Views:	1196 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	5484  

Ascension - I'm at work (where the computer system does not allow me to download images for a better view, so I'm stuck looking at the thumbnail in the post), but I like it. I like the colors that you've chosen.

When I get home, I'll take another look, and if you are interested, offer some comments.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Ascension - I'm at work (where the computer system does not allow me to download images for a better view, so I'm stuck looking at the thumbnail in the post), but I like it. I like the colors that you've chosen.

When I get home, I'll take another look, and if you are interested, offer some comments.
    Well, I can down load it and I can tell you it is an excellent map. Top notch work.

Quite by accident, I found a corollary of my oasis in real world pictures last night. Not sure who took the photos or where this place is and yes it's more developed and modern but I thought it was an interesting find nonetheless. Here's a link:

http://leenks.com/gallery696.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desertoasis-0.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	5731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desertoasis-1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	5732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desertoasis-2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	5733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desertoasis-8.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	5734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desertoasis-9.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	5735  

Last edited by Ascension; 08-10-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

wow that place is amazing. I thought it was a photoshop job at first

I like your map! for the trees, it might be good to see some more height relief on the centre of them - or rather a lower relief than to outer leaves. as they look flat. I like the shadowing too

Post Nice job!

What a great looking oasis! I had a few questions while looking at it.
    Please don't take this as criticism; I was just curious on some parts:

1. Is there a wall around the oasis? It looks almost like a stone wall at bottom of the map.
    2. If it is a wall, what are the two structures that cover the "river" as it flows into/out of the oasis? At first I thought they were a sort of guard tower, but they do not have enough height. Perhaps a wooden bridge?
    3. How deep is the oasis? Are they really this deep? I've never seen one, but this one seems deep enough that it would be a permanent water source.
    4. The upper right corner of the map shows agrid like structure. What is that? It almost seems like an elevated pipeline, perhaps for irrigation. But then there would likely be vegetation. The pipeline would also likely use softer bend radius than 90°.

The trees are great.
    Water texture and color is great.
    Shadows are great.
    smoke effect? above the large red tent (upper right) is pretty nice.
    Burnt font effect is very good.
    The subtle roads/paths between tent is hard to see, but likely realistic for sand.

1. Yes it is a low rock wall, people no matter what have tendencies to be territorial and the wall separates the fields from the road so camels don't trample the food.
    2. Yes they are low bridges over the irrigation canals.
    3. No idea how deep it would be but yes it is meant to be a permanent water hole fed by an underground spring.
    4. That is a corral for holding goats or camels or whatever.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Every aspect of the Oasis is impressive. Colors, textures, shadows and it makes for a complete map. Sweet.