Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - (ambitious) World Map of fictious earth-like planet

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks really great. As other folks have said, I admire your patience!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is pure madness... I love it! Pixie, one tip: try to make a grayscale version of these layers as well, so you can easily turn them into a DEM file. That might come in handy afterwards when you're bumpmapping/shading the map.

Oh and my sincerest compliments with the humongous amount of work you're putting into this. The result is pretty awesome!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thank you. Thank you all, encouragement is greatly appreciated.
    It's a work of passion more than a work of patience. After all, this is "my world" for over 20 years. Still, the perspective of needing months at the current rate of production to have this finished is pretty daunting.

As for the grayscale version DEM... I've played around with it already but it's not so simple. This look gains from the mixing of layers and "partially" selected pixels. When I use selection to make new layers, in grayscale, there's a lot that goes awol. I am playing about with the idea of enlarging the finished heightmap 4x, then grayscale it, then using wilbur to soften/erode/fill the blanks. But, as I said, I think that's a far ahead, not an immediate issue.

Blog Entries

And I thought I was having a rough time D:
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Latest update for the guild.

I have developed a new technique that works better for the lower levels of elevation. I'm trying to put it in words but while it's simple, I'm struggling to explain. Nevermind... So, I just decided that sometime in the upcoming weeks/months, I will make a small movie of 15 mins of work or so. But not just now. This is allowing me to speed up with very decent results and I want to see this first continent finished.

On the other hand, as I said last week, I am getting more demanding with myself and picky, so about half my time spent on this is making small alterations, adding smaller mountains, steeper valleys, etc.
    Anyway, a lot more is to come. I reckon two more weeks before I leave the western continent... (Might post a reduced version of the entire world map next time, so you can get a scaled grasp of how much I still have ahead).

Here it is. The lowlands north and south of the eastern range is what I am working on, so don't mind those. The rest is pretty much done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weekly_preview.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	61439

Feel free to throw in suggestions or anything else.

This is so amazing, I will definitely be watching intently! Keep it up

Blog Entries

It's looking great. I'm just trying to figure out how you get that effect between your biomes that looks so.... idk. but i want to steals it D:

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    It's looking great. I'm just trying to figure out how you get that effect between your biomes that looks so.... idk. but i want to steals it D:
    Biomes do not appear on this map. I'm pretty sure it's a physical map instead.

But yea, it has a lot of details !

Blog Entries

But I can SEE the biomes in my head D:

Edit: You're right though, but I meant between the different areas ... words mean what I want them to mean, right??? D:

No, words mean what they do... their existence predates you, thus, they take precedence.

This is a simple colored heightmap. Just that. No biomes, no rainfall, no temperature.

I have those more or less drafted though and if you want to know (dunno if you do, but I'll showoff anyway):
    - this continent has large rainforests in the east coast, NW plains and the SE peninsula
    - there is a a large inland desert in the southwest, crossed by two continent-size rivers (think Nile scale)
    - the nothern coast of the west block is savannah/monsoon
    - the southern coast of the west block is temperate and colder/drier as you go west
    - and the highlands in the center are dry to partially dry, particularily in the raishadow of the main western range.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast