Thread: Map of the Universe

Help Map of the Universe

So... our next game is going to be a game that involves the Universe. We want to get a conceptual map of the known Universe. The map(s) will contain regions of space ruled by sovereign Sectors, (major and minor governing bodies). Hopefully we'd have multiple maps, and the idea would be we're looking for detail maps of various regions. Is anyone interested and capable of doing this kind of Science Fiction map work? I normally would put this request into the paid work map request section (and if an admin wants to move its okay) but I wanted to make the offer here since its Sci-Fi specific.

- J. Elliot Streeter, Wicked North Games, LLC

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    The Universe is big, really big. I am quoting here. Have you thought of the size you want? A galaxy is huge. There are several programs out there that will even allow you to create your own systems. There is one by NBOS software called astrosynthisis. It allows you to create your own system within the known galaxy or create your own.

Tracker

The fun part about the universe is that, at large scales, it seems to be a sort of a uniform, diffuse mist. It's only at fairly local scales that it gets interesting at all. Observable universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has a nice picture at the bottom that helps with scale.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hi arcgaden, I've moved your thread to Mapmaking Requests, since the requests forum is all-inclusive.

So - yes - I've seen Astrosynthesis, however, I do ^not have a talent for cartography. I would rather hire someone else to sit down and discuss a series of maps.

A Universe Map that presents things nicely on a piece of paper (probably will work as a two page spread), then demonstrates three dimensions in the confines of the map.

I am aware that the Universe is nice and boring at a distance, which is fine. I think something that basically mimics this 3d model: First Version of a 3D Map of Universe from the FastSound Project - YouTube
    should work well to give the big view.

Then we can determine closer views of areas. This is a game setting with a number of territorial regions than cover multiple galaxies and the voids of space between them, as well as all the asteroids, et al, that might exist there, too. The idea is to get the Universe map, with the territories cursively marked (maybe a "top-down" perspective, and then a "profile-side" perspective) where the territories can be more easily visualized.

Then a map for each territory (covering multiple galaxies, nebulas, etc). And a handful of closer galaxy and system maps for areas of game setting interest.

Don't get caught up in the vastness of the scale, think of it like a world, with countries, provinces/states, counties, cities, districts, and neighborhoods.

Please shoot me an email if you're interested so I can look at your portfolio.

jelliot (at) wickednorthgames.com
    Last edited by arcgaden; 02-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.