Thread: Karlskrona

Default Karlskrona

This is a map I'm making for the Map of the Month challenge on alternatehistory.com, covering an alternate universe where Karlskrona, my home city in the south of Sweden, was made the nation's capital shortly after its founding. This may sound like outlandish wish fulfilment based on just that one sentence, but the city was actually founded at the height of the Swedish Empire (with all the megalomaniacal insanity that implies), and it was occasionally spoken of as a future capital - in twenty years it went from nothing whatsoever to the third biggest city in the realm, and if it weren't for the Great Northern War it might have continued growing at a similar pace. So what if it did, and what if the King decided to move there after a particularly bungled naval operation based out of Stockholm? Well, here's a possible development. This map is of the city in 1800, but I'm planning to bring it up to 1980 (the city's 300th anniversary) in stages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoF-kna-1800-en.png 
Views:	3226 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	65668

aaa karlskrona, love this city :3

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirUmbra View Post
    aaa karlskrona, love this city :3
    Thanks. Since I live there I'm taking it as a compliment.

And here it is in 1900 (this is also the version I'm entering the contest with):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoF-kna-1900-en.png 
Views:	2367 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	66263

That's a pretty cool map! And quite interesting to browse and see the changes you've put in from 1800 to 1900. Just a few things which caught my eye... No letter on the church in Culture Park? All of the church letters on top of the buildings, except for "d" - Hedvig Eleonora. Is Culture Park encased in a very thin border of entertainment and cultural buildings or sidewalk arts and crafts vendors or ? Not quite sure what's happening there... or outside the city. Is all of the blank/tan area covered in other types of buildings, like homes and shops, etc, or is it countryside, or just not important to the map?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That's a pretty cool map! And quite interesting to browse and see the changes you've put in from 1800 to 1900.
    Thanks.

Is Culture Park encased in a very thin border of entertainment and cultural buildings or sidewalk arts and crafts vendors or ?
    The Culture Park is an open-air museum, essentially like Skansen in Stockholm. That pink line around it is simply the fence.

Just a few things which caught my eye... No letter on the church in Culture Park? All of the church letters on top of the buildings, except for "d" - Hedvig Eleonora.
    The church in the Culture Park isn't actually used for services, it's just an exhibit - I kept the buildings' original colours to show what they were before being moved there. As for Hedvig Eleonora, it's nothing deliberate.

Is all of the blank/tan area covered in other types of buildings, like homes and shops, etc, or is it countryside, or just not important to the map?
    It's partly countryside and partly forest. I'd have made it more detailed, but it's out of focus, and as I mention, this was made for a contest, and I barely met the deadline as it was.

So, you're not from Los Angeles ? I find always pleasant to see the evolution of a city. Very clean work.