Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Continent of Valarina - First Map

I agree with the philosophy, and many real world political maps do the same, but I like maps with lots of info. It would be kinda cool to the see geographical limitations that caused some of these situations, such as valleys that gave one army an advantage over the others and whatnot. Again, I kind of like a cluttered map though.

Definitely follow your muse above all else.

EDIT: Just noticed that your name is one of the later time frame countries. Nice.

Hahahah, yes my name might be implying some sort of nepotism toward a country .

Also, about the geographic features, do you suggest I simply mark them with by writing for example "valley of laresh" or use icons, or both?

Blog Entries

So I've been trying to find a political map on google images, which had the geography showing, and.. I couldn't really.

I did find a couple of black and white fantasy maps there with features marked... but the political parts aren't very clear, or they look awful.

If you *must* add features, I'd simply add a label. However, *personally* I think you should keep your political map political, and if you want to mark the geography, make a physical map

Then again, that's just my personal opinion

Hmmm. For simplicity, maybe some simple icons. My gut reaction is to then name these things, but again simplicity is not my strong suit, (one of my favorite maps of all time) so maybe I'm a bad person to ask. Regardless, I think some indication via symbols of the major geographic locations would be nice. At the same time, this is a typical political map from the really real world and its just like yours (not as nicely rendered, but you know).

You are probably fine. Maybe make a second map (or a separate layer if using GIMP or Photoshop) for the other stuff. I wouldn't want you to ruin a really awesome map for information that is not pertinent. I just like knowing all that stuff

EDIT: I Agree with Jalyha. While I would do it, I think you are probably better off not doing it.

Blog Entries

I adore Middle Earth and it's maps. And the map you showed is lovely, and it names the regions, but it's not a political map. This map is also lovely... and also not a political map.

This is what happens when you try to put a political map and a physical map together.

Well not always, but yeah.

Political map

That's *why* I wouldn't suggest it. But really it's up to the mapmaker

Continent of Valarina 366 D.K

Events leading to current political situation:

233 D.K Tosandrian Annexation of the Navarii Papacy

Tosandria, who already had military access and control of the natural resources of the Navarii Papacy, with the support of the current pope politically annexes the papacy. Like during the annexation of Nevandr in 198 D.K many of the Navarr people were transported back into mainland Tosandria to be used for cheap labor. This act causes great alarm in the neighboring Kingdom of Dorralor, Nation of the Devrani Free Peoples, and the Kingdom of Deva.

236 D.K The Creation of the United Front

The lesser nations of Deva, Devrani and Dorralor under the leadership of Dorralor create the United Front. This Union was made with the purpose of deterring further expansion from Tosandria and Imperial Luresha.

287 D.K The Second Lower War

The Second L.W started when Luresha used its troops to occupy the rest of the Kingdom of Tiraan. Fearing that the scales would tip towards Lureshan supremacy, Cavaan declares war on Luresha. After having some initial difficulties Cavaan promises Tiraan independence and the third of the Southern Islands in order to secure an alliance. A year into the war the nation of Vaan declares itself independent. Unable to fight a war on both fronts, Cavaan accepts Vaan's independence and goes as far as to guarantee it. After, several years of almost equal war, the Duke of Alsorra, who was a distant relative of the Cavaanese Royal family rebels against Imperial Luresha, tipping the tides of war and resulting in Cavaanese victory. As a result, Cavaan annexes lower Luresha and grants Tiraan independence and the Island of Iné.

333 D.K Cavaanese Reformation

After years of unrest in an attempt to quell the masses and the disillusioned nobility, Cavaan grants semi-autonomy to the Grand Duchy of Luresha and the Grand Duchy of Varaan. This greatly increases public opinion in Cavaan and appeases the nobility.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valarina-366dkweb.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	60568

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I adore Middle Earth and it's maps. And the map you showed is lovely, and it names the regions, but it's not a political map. This map is also lovely... and also not a political map.
    I know that's not a political map silly I was trying to demonstrate the way I tend to make maps (not that its the right way) in which I dump as much info on them as possible. As such, my recommendations are not the best. (BTW... I am not taking credit for that middle earth map, it was just laying about in my bookmarks so I tossed it out). Besides, I already agreed with you

EDIT: Also, I like the new map as well. I feel that this consolidation of territory is likely to lead to a huge war, the likes of which this land has never seen.... Either that or a stable happy long lived peace that ushers in a new golden age for all... Either way.
    Last edited by eternalsage; 01-22-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Close Up of Northeast Valarina

Name:	northeastdelta.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	60589

This is Valarina at 408 DK

Name:	valarina-408dkweb.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	60660