Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - Quick GIMP Question

Question HELP - Quick GIMP Question

So I've been away from cartography for over a month now (*sheds a small tear*), but I'm coming back. Working on some things on GIMP and apparently I've brain dumped any GIMP-fu I may have once possessed. Now I can't remember how to do a very simple little thing.

Situation:
    On my foreground layer, I wanted to apply some effects to all of the drawing on the layer. I right-clicked on the layer (in the layer dialogue) and clicked 'Alpha to Selection'. I then did what I wanted to do with it. So far, so good.

Now, I want to go back and continue drawing on that layer. BUT I can't, because I can't get rid of the marching ants. So I can't do anything.

Question:
    HOW do I turn off those darn ants to get back to what I'm doing?

[Any help is greatly appreciated...] (*Extreme shame and embarassment*)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    So I've been away from cartography for over a month now (*sheds a small tear*), but I'm coming back. Working on some things on GIMP and apparently I've brain dumped any GIMP-fu I may have once possessed. Now I can't remember how to do a very simple little thing.

Situation:
    On my foreground layer, I wanted to apply some effects to all of the drawing on the layer. I right-clicked on the layer (in the layer dialogue) and clicked 'Alpha to Selection'. I then did what I wanted to do with it. So far, so good.

Now, I want to go back and continue drawing on that layer. BUT I can't, because I can't get rid of the marching ants. So I can't do anything.

Question:
    HOW do I turn off those darn ants to get back to what I'm doing?

[Any help is greatly appreciated...] (*Extreme shame and embarassment*)
    On the menu:
    Select->None
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Alternatively, use any selection tool and click without dragging.
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Guild Adept

or CTRL+SHIFT+A

Post Another question for the GIMP users out there

Situation:
    So I'm drawing in the GIMP. I have a layer with only one type of object on it. It is a BIG object, several hundred pixels by several hundred pixels.

I want to do two things:
    1. Move it around, perhaps rotate it, until I am happy with its placement with respect to the other layers.
    2. Copy it and paste it several times throughout that same layer in different locations.

(I know that it can be copied and used as a brush from them on, but when I try that, only part of the object becomes the brush. I assume that that is because of the object's size.)

RobA - I guess that I hadn't thought of that. Although at 2800x3600 per layer, that is going to get unwieldy fast-- of course, I could just then merge layers continually as each one is positioned. Thanks - I'll probably do that.

Blog Entries

Couldn't you use a VTT for this ?

Is the object sever hundred pixels or several thousand?

You first said several hundred, hence the suggestion to just work with the layers. Several thousand.... I think it would chug pretty bad.

-Rob A>

Miscommunication - my fault. The object in question is 650x450 pixels. The canvas size is 2800x3600 pixels.

When you said duplicate the layer and use the rotate and move tools, I thought that you were refering to rotating and moving a whole layer and generating new layers for each additional object.

My problem is, I've only ever hand-drawn items in GIMP. I've never (before now) had the necessity to rotate or move objects. I posted this question last night after a long day and was operating slowly. Point is, I don't know how to use the rotate and move tools for individuals objects. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to do it last night. (I'm hoping due to my exhaustion.) I think, when I go home tonight after work with a fresh mind, all will be fine.

But if not, where are those tools located and how does one use them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast