Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: The Children of the Ouroboros

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: The Children of the Ouroboros

In the parallel world of Altraterra, the research on ether or quintessence is strictly prohibited by the Inquisition, not only for religious reasons: the control of this substance gives powers that can subvert the hierarchies of the world.
    Persecuted in their homelands because of heretical ideas on the energies that govern the world, many alchemists and esoterists fled to a land they called Ouroboria, in honor of the Ouroboros, the eternal return, archetypical beast and alchemical and esoteric symbol.
    Now, in the major universities of Ouroboria, the studies on the four elements, leading to the a better understanding and realization of the quintessence, are at an advanced stage.
    But The Holy Inquisition and the pious nations are organizing, to deal a decisive blow to this land, before scholars of alchemical and esoteric universities could reach significant results.
    Alchemists, esoterists, the children of the Ouroboros, are going to face, again, harsh times and are preparing for the final war.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i figli dell'uroboro wip 1.jpg 
Views:	8294 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	60593

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice backstory; looking forward to seeing how you develop this...

Blog Entries

I couldn't look too long at the map or pay attention to the back story at first cause I kept trying to think what book the snake made me think of.

Then I remembered. It's "The little prince" or something like that, and it didn't even have a snake eating its' tail, it was a snake that swallowed something and looked like a hat!

My brain is so weird...

So once I got that out of my head, I looked and I love it! And the story is MUCH more interesting

I hope to see a lot more of this!

@ Diamond: thank you, I hope the map will be up to my (distorted ) imagination.

@ Jalyha: thank you. The serpent eating its tail (the Ouruboros) is a really ancient and significant symbol. I also had to deal with it personally , because it’s been, long time ago, somehow, one of the subject of my final exam at high school (an exam question on Nietzche’s eternal recurrence concept, which owes a lot to the myth of the Ouruboros), so it remained firmly fixed in my mind.

I hope the map will be up the standards of this competition, there are already some good jobs this month.

As always, I need your feedbacks to do a decent job, so don't hesitate to even severe criticism!

Very creative, and great execution! I'm looking forward for your updates. Your map made me remember a legend from this parts that I've heard before:
    "It is a common belief among indigenous people of the tropical lowlands of South America that waters at the edge of the world-disc are encircled by a snake, often an anaconda, biting its own tail"

Blog Entries

Which is what makes it so weird that the story I immediately thought of on seeing the map was one with a snake in a hat :p

What is wrong with my brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    What is wrong with my brain?
    Most likely it's just a matter of over-broad filtering on the association elements combined with a huge store of elements to match against. That way you get fuzzy matches to a whole lot of subjects for a given input and the most likely resolution is not necessarily the one that others might arrive at. At least that's what I like to claim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Most likely it's just a matter of over-broad filtering on the association elements combined with a huge store of elements to match against. That way you get fuzzy matches to a whole lot of subjects for a given input and the most likely resolution is not necessarily the one that others might arrive at. At least that's what I like to claim.

Translation: "You're nuts, Jalyha!"

I prefer your explanation. I'm going to use that.

Anyway... it is a very good start on this map and I hope I see it a lot more!!

waldronate SAY WHAT ??????
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

@rgcalsaverini: Thanks!

Here are some updates: mountains (drawn by hand, not having the time to create new brushes), rivers and some textures.
    There is also a sort of alchemy table with symbols and I'm working on other similar ideas to give more depth to the background story. .
    In the next update I think there will be trees and cities.

Advices and suggestions are, as always, really appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i figli dell'uroboro wip 2.jpg 
Views:	4722 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	60781

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast