Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The island Antillia

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks! Yeah, that's a good Idea Jalyha. That way I can use a plain nature coloration even if I mess up the political map, which has happened before

Here's something a little more fun to look at. Maybe I'll darken everything slightly, it turned out very pale…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antillia4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	825.6 KB 
ID:	60713

Blog Entries

me r smartie

and yes, that is prettier, and yes, I'd say darken it

Darkened it Also made the ocean more smooth, and added the beginning of a frame…

Name:	Antillia5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	947.6 KB 
ID:	60750

Blog Entries

Looking good so far.

What are you drawing on? (Canvas, I mean)...I'm sure it won't matter when the map is more finished, but for the moment it's throwing off my sense of the land height.. idk why (Also, probably just me, cause I see things funny!)

Also... and I *despise* generalizing, but...

Everywhere I've ever seen a river meet the ocean, it's been in a relatively calm area.. cause... welll... river water can't flow forward, if stronger waves are pushing back..

Now... continents basic *shapes* and island formation... that's all tectonics and I don't really get that... but I do get waves, and erosion, which gives the *detail* to those lands. And ocean waves tend to hit the land in certain ways.

So .. based on that (Unless there's some tectonic-y reason why) There's a couple areas in your map that look like they are plagued with LOTS of strong waves (based on the land shape) but that's where the river is coming out of the land too... I don't know how to explain it 's probably not a big deal, and I'm no expert, so I'm sure I'm missing a simple explanation for it (cliffs with a fall, or something) but I thought I'd mention it in case there wasn't? (I get way too hung up on pointless little details )

Yep, that's definitely better now! I like the colours you got with this darkening.

Now, my two minutes of geology (may be partly wrong, it's been a long time...)

By Jalyha
    Everywhere I've ever seen a river meet the ocean, it's been in a relatively calm area.. cause... welll... river water can't flow forward, if stronger waves are pushing back..
    Hum, that depends in fact. It's generally calm on the surface, but it's not necessary a truth under the surface. It's difficult to get a good idea of the current force because of the width of the river at this point and never forget that salt water is heavier, so the river tend to flow over the sea when it encountered it.

By Jalyha
    Now... continents basic *shapes* and island formation... that's all tectonics and I don't really get that... but I do get waves, and erosion, which gives the *detail* to those lands. And ocean waves tend to hit the land in certain ways.

So .. based on that (Unless there's some tectonic-y reason why) There's a couple areas in your map that look like they are plagued with LOTS of strong waves (based on the land shape) but that's where the river is coming out of the land too... I don't know how to explain it 's probably not a big deal, and I'm no expert, so I'm sure I'm missing a simple explanation for it (cliffs with a fall, or something) but I thought I'd mention it in case there wasn't? (I get way too hung up on pointless little details )
    In fact, all of that relies mainly of the type of rocks and currents you get. In some cases, the coast is expanding, and the river is "expanding the land" against the sea by bringing sediments. In the other case, the sea is kinda "devouring" the land and make the estuary more en more large (and the sea is more entering in the river than the other way).
    Either way, I think that the currents and the chemistry (pH of water, temperature, rock composure) are the most important.
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 01-28-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that, it was gonna drive me nuts!

Yeah, erosion is something I still have to learn about! Thanks for your input, it's too late to change the rivers and coasts now but I'll read up on the subject and think more about it next time!

About the drawing surface, I'm using A3 watercolor paper with a quite fine texture

Here's a little more progress. I've desaturated the ocean to make the island stand out more, and added a graticule and finished the idea I had for the frame.

Name:	Antillia6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,023.3 KB 
ID:	60786

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

No way, the graticules coordinates numbers and way you did them don't fit the style you're looking imho (too digital, too modern font look).

No way? Way! It's a typewriter font! Lol, ok, I guess it comes across as too digital. I'll try it with an older looking typewriter.

Blog Entries

Oh gosh, I'm with - Max- . And typewriters look more digital than a lot of digital fonts!

I don't mean digital, though... what do I mean?

I tend to think of "disappearing island" and "pirates" or "ancient civilizations". I expect something pirate-y (hastily scribbled instructions on a carefully obscure map, maybe on crumbling, water-stained parchment) OR something Ancient civilization-y (lovingly, painstakingly painted by hand, with straight-lined letters/pictograms depicted (also by hand) so very very carefully!)

I don't know how to explain that.

And your map *so far* and with those colors, tends to fit my assumption. The lines are too.... machine-y. (They look like they came off an old (but not as old as the map) printing press) and the map *doesn't* look machine-y...

(How can I be so bad at explaining things? )

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... though they're probably worth more like a half cent

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast