Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The island Antillia

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pirate-y? Anvient civilization-y? Jalyha, Lingon said he wanted to go with some pre-digital 20th century atlas style This said, another font would suit it bettet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Pirate-y? Anvient civilization-y? Jalyha, Lingon said he wanted to go with some pre-digital 20th century atlas style This said, another font would suit it bettet.
    Ohhhh you're right he did...

I never did pay proper attention in school either

Okay, then, forget everything I said, cause apparently I'm blind

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm indeed aiming for that atlas look, like the example I linked to in the first post, but I still value Jalyha's comment – if it comes across as piratey or ancient, I apparently failed completely at reproducing that style. I know it's a pretty major diversion to not use political colors (which I still might apply, not sure yet), but I thought it would come across through other elements. I don't want to copy a historical map exactly, I want it to be my own take on it, but if anyone has ideas to make it remind a little more about the period I'm taking inspiration from (first half of the 20th century), I'd appreciate it

Imho, political borders (even if you don't go stricly with the same ones as in the example linked), ways of transportations, maybe designing some "pre-modern" symbols and the way you're going to label it would probably be the things that visually give the visual touch you're looking for.

Blog Entries

Well... it doesn't really come across as pirate-y/ancient civilization-y... it *feels* like it could fit, and I got to that point in my mind by thinking about a disappearing island, and, well...

I go... like... 99% on gut instinct when I talk sorry.

I guess what I meant is that the *lines* for the mountains/rivers/coast look hand drawn. (carefully, hand drawn) and the (navigation) lines look done by a machine of some sort.

I'm REALLY bad at explaining...

It looked like someone drew a map, and *much* later, someone printed the lines on. The *painting* feels like it could fit both.

But again, that's all just from my gut, and I don't know much about maps, and I didn't look at the style you were going for before opening my big fat mouth... Maybe that is how those atlas were made?

I think I'll just go sit quietly in a corner somewhere and think about why I should think before I talk

*naughty Jalyha*

You're not bad at explaining at all, I understand what you mean I haven't actually done any research about this, but from looking at various maps from the period, I'm pretty sure they were made in the way you describe – hand painted terrain, printed graticule and labels. So that's what I'm trying to make it look like

New update, I've added cities and roads, some labels, and a little bit of color tweaking. The city names are from a historical source, the seven cities that were believed to be on Antillia, and "Costa Prata" is my own name of some sort of administrative region (no borders yet), and means "Silver coast" in Portuguese. Some tales about Antillia describes beaches full of silver, so I thought I'd bring that in, and it's in Portuguese because I decided the island was colonized and kept the language after becoming independent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antillia7.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	60838

Looks good! I would try some subtle aging effect on the labels though.

Looking very nice so far Lingon!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks, Max and Arsheesh! And thanks for the suggestions in your second last post, Max, forgot to say that Those things are pretty much what I was thinking of adding, except for the symbols, hadn't thought of that

I've changed the font to a more damaged one, added some more labels, a possible title, and that big ugly blob is a placeholder for a city map I'm considering placing there. I thought it would balance the composition by filling up some of that empty ocean, but I'm not sure it works… If I use it, I'll draw it in a more subtle way than the island itself, just a street grid I think, so it wouldn't be so overpowering at least.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antillia8.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	60875

Blog Entries

OH *now* I see it!

I feel silly

That looks great. I'd like to see the city!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast