Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Map { Eshkura }

Thanks for the input guys, I tried incorporating what was mentioned about the rivers and such. I know there are rivers with nothing around em - I just haven't gotten to em yet. But the ones that I have added mountains/trees to, what do you think? Is there anything off geographically? Personally I'm not TOO worried about precision and perfecting and following natural laws, but if It's close enough I'm okay with it. I'm mainly creating the map as a reference guide for myself. Mountain size is obviously out of proportion I believe (I tried resizing the brush for them and the quality was worse so I just stuck with their original size), I don't know if there's a natural order to the formation of mountains and if there are any right or wrongs for their placement correlation to other mountains.

Anyways, enough babbling, does it seem as though I understood/better incorporated what was said about rivers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_Map5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	60682

Got a bunch done today. Tried a few new things for the terrain, kind of like the addition of em. I think I'll be done with the landscape soon. I wish I knew a better way to do grasslands, but I suppose the little grass splotches will suffice.

Stil gotta figure out how to & how I wanna map out roads and locations and such.

Name:	WIP_Map6.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	60700

Half of me thinks some parts look a little silly, but the other half likes those parts, so, eh, if it's not over the top ridiculous -- I'm okay with it I guess

Nearly done!

Name:	WIP_Map7.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	60742

I think I'm pretty much done with the landscape. Maybe a few tweaks here and there needed but I'm pretty happy with it. Distance meter might be a bit too small but I like the simplicity of it. There's a few silhouette animals just chillin' in the ocean I tried making for future use. I think they're alright, got a couple more I'd like to try making.

Name:	WIP_Map9.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	60780

Blog Entries

"Look, ma, I can walk on water!"

I thought that was the scale at first.

No, seriously, though, it looks good... you've come very far!

It may be a little late for this, but perhaps it isn't.
    Are you concerned with the number of lakes/inland seas that have no outflow to the ocean?
    Because what I'm seeing are a lot of hypersaline water bodies that have no place to dump sediments and salts, and are no good for settling around.

Ah, good point. There's what, 2-3? I suppose that's easy to change and fix up. Thanks for pointing that out

@Jalyha: haha, thanks!

Edit: There's a few bodies of water that have tiny rivers flowing out into the ocean that goes under/in between the trees that are a bit hard to spot. I'll try making them more pronounced.
    Last edited by Zarxiel; 01-28-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Good job, though I would change the color of your water bodies to match the sepia tone of the rest (unless you've planned to color the rest, of course )

Yea I was thinking about doing that (changing the water color). Although I do think blue and tan(ish) are a decent color combo. I'll mess around with the color

As much as I enjoyed making this map, I think I'm going to start over now with something completely new and fresh Hopefully I can go faster now that I know what I'm doing. I want to better orient and place all the landscape. I think through making this map, It showed me what I really wanted out of the map so I won't just be aimlessly adding landscape anywhere I please and what land looked 'cool'.

I think my plan is to make a bigger map to allow easier name marking so things don't get cluttered up. Also allow me to better make actual unique landscape features so it's not just a dot. Also be patient. I wanted to rush through and finish that last map so I just rushed through it. I think if I make it bigger to allow more features, It'll force me to put more effort into it rather than rush through.

OR

Alternatively make it just.. an average size with region names, and have separate work zoomed into a certain region with more details.

I'll post my progress here with whatever I choose
    Last edited by Zarxiel; 02-01-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast